Maine

I insulated my coop the second year. I think it was worth the cost (about $100) My thinking on that was instead of them using up their energy to keep warm, they'd be more productive in the cold months.

Hey all..I'm in Bucksport Maine. I just thought I'd say hi and add my .02 in. We have a small backyard flock, made up of BR mix, RIR, EE, 1 Wheaten, and 2 SSHamb. (M/F). Oh, and currently have 8 BO hatching eggs and 2 own flock mutt eggs incubating...on day 4.
As far as our coop, I have a chicken enclosure (see my BYC page for pic), and our coop is a converted dog kennel. I also have a 50x50 ft run made with plastic poultry net. There is no insulation in our coop, as I was told that the birds make their own heat. Seeing as we have 23 birds, I think they're huddled up and doing fine. Before that first big snowstorm about a month ago, I decided to put a draft guard of sorts over the door. I did this by finding a big scrap of fabric, and stapled it over the door. It took them a few minutes to get used to it...kinda funny watching Bruce, our BR mix roo inching toward the door and backing up when a breeze moved the fabric! I solved this by throwing out some cracked corn in the enclosure. When Bruce gave the "food" call to the hens, they came running out of the coop...nevermind the new door thing blocking their way. After that, they didn't seem to mind.
Regardless, we are going to be building a new coop later this spring, once things thaw out a bit. I'll have to pay $25 for a building permit from the town, but it'll be worth it.
Well, ya'll take care, and keep your stick on the ice! LOL

Fairfield is not too far. I used to work in Albion, about a half-hour drive. We're expecting our first chickens around May 12.
smile.png

Hey everyone,
It's been a while since I have been here but desperately need to find a home for a lav ameraucana roo. I have 2 and really don't have room for 4(total) roos here. He has been alone since right before winter (his girls went to the rest of the laying flock for the winter) and has never shown any aggression, kids frequently are in his coop. I didn't plan to keep him for the winter and feel bad he is alone. I only wanted him to go to a home that wasn't going to eat him but right now I don't care, just don't want to be told....if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I am near Portland....

Hi Ho!

Town of Freedom here! Starting our first flock at our new homestead! Been many years since I ve raised chicken. Looking forward to share my fun times with my two daughters. Thinking we may go from eggs to laying eggs with them the first time around. I know a few back yarder's to get my starter eggs(fertile eggs). Good to see other mainers active here as well !

there is a chicken swap being held at Dodges agway
116 lafayette rd
hampton falls nh
9-1 this saturday march 20th

have you seen the weather report!! going to be a great day!! come on down

Hello Maine!
woot.gif

Just a reminder that there are still lots of towns and cities right here in Maine up for grabs in the BYC Chicken L.O.R.E. Project!

This is a massive undertaking, and everyone is encouraged to participate! Your knowledge of Chicken L.O.R.E. will earn you GFM Scratch, which are good towards new GFM Memberships, Membership extensions, or Membership gifts.

Remember - you don't have to select a city in Maine - cruise the selection list and choose any city still available!

Get started now! Click on the Chicken L.O.R.E. link above for all the details, and remember your Project Managers are here to help in any way we can.

Good Luck, and Thanx for Joining In!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom