Maine

So, the bad news is we just had a Northern Goshawk snatch our oldest and last remaining original chicken. Not very happy with that at all. She was a very cool chicken. We called her Kamikaze, named after a character in the "how to train your dragon" book series because she was alwayz the first to charge in and inspect the situation...probably what ultimately cause her demise.

But the good news is I got to see a Northern Goshawk! I am a huge bird fan and I have a huge appreciation for predatory birds. So, it was sort of awe inspiring to see one so close.

Edited to add we found a 2nd dead one, and the 4 that were missing were huddled under a bush and came runnign when Momma called them.

Last edited:
can you please start a thread in the chicken stock area and send me a link. it really should be separate from this thread.(and what time does this swap run?)
The WILTON TSC Swap/Farmers Market will be the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month starting on April 6th. If you have any questions please let me know!!

Last edited:
"Winterport Mall". That is classic!
big_smile.png

Sorry to hear about your hawk loss anna- we lost one friday to a hawk, but didn't actually see it. I hear you on being into the birds though...hawks are pretty amazing, it's too bad that they want to eat our chickens!

Bucka, Maine Chick, and Coop Chick, I agree with you! Dump picking is a fine art. My idea of a hot date is a trip to the dump with a pick up truck to look for abandoned treasures. My hubby cringes when I jump out of the truck. Sometimes I can hardly wait for it to stop moving when I spy something with promise! Last fall I missed out on completed wall panels... complete with paneling on the inside, that would have made a complete coop with minimal re-structuring. All because it was late in the afternoon and I didn't have time to go back home for a saw to cut them into manageable chunks for transport. We call our local dump the "Winterport Mall"! My neighbor came home from the mall 2 years ago with a ride on lawnmower... all it needed was a starter.

LOL LazyG!!
gig.gif

All, and I mean all, of our lawnmowers came from the dump when I was growing up. Dad would go to the dump with the trailer and a few bags of trash and come home with a trailer full of treasures!! Mum was never impressed!
he.gif
He would Frankenstein a mower with parts of others. The one I remember best is the one that you had to shut off by kicking the wire off the sparkplug. Had to make sure you were wearing your rubber-soled sneakers that day!
lau.gif

So, the bad news is we just had a Northern Goshawk snatch our oldest and last remaining original chicken. Not very happy with that at all. She was a very cool chicken. We called her Kamikaze, named after a character in the "how to train your dragon" book series because she was alwayz the first to charge in and inspect the situation...probably what ultimately cause her demise. But the good news is I got to see a Northern Goshawk! I am a huge bird fan and I have a huge appreciation for predatory birds. So, it was sort of awe inspiring to see one so close. Edited to add we found a 2nd dead one, and the 4 that were missing were huddled under a bush and came runnign when Momma called them.
So sorry about your chicken, Anna! I'm just starting to free-range mine...just an hour before dusk. Not only is my roo on alert but I'm watching the skies. I've heard that crows will keep hawks away. We have a bunch of crows around here. Everytime I head out to the coop, I hear a call. I truly believe he's telling everyone "Hey, that lady is outside again!"

I don't know why I do this to myself, but I went to TSC today w/ out the hubby or kids, and they had chicks. :rolleyes: No one was there to tell me no, the chicks were super cute, and I just "needed" 6 White Leghorn chicks. (And I still haven't told the hubby that I went to the swap on saturday or what I got there. He works out of state.) Do you think he will notice the Leghorn chicks in with the Dominique,Red Dorking, Wheaten Marans and Ameraucana chicks that are due to hatch Friday? He won't be home until the 18th. ;) In my defense, 4 of the Leghorn chicks are going to my mom and dad when they start laying, and if my parents ever finish (or start) building their coop.

LOL LazyG!!
gig.gif

All, and I mean all, of our lawnmowers came from the dump when I was growing up. Dad would go to the dump with the trailer and a few bags of trash and come home with a trailer full of treasures!! Mum was never impressed!
he.gif
He would Frankenstein a mower with parts of others. The one I remember best is the one that you had to shut off by kicking the wire off the sparkplug. Had to make sure you were wearing your rubber-soled sneakers that day!
lau.gif

So sorry about your chicken, Anna! I'm just starting to free-range mine...just an hour before dusk. Not only is my roo on alert but I'm watching the skies. I've heard that crows will keep hawks away. We have a bunch of crows around here. Everytime I head out to the coop, I hear a call. I truly believe he's telling everyone "Hey, that lady is outside again!"
Coopchick, our rototiller is like this mower- you've got to remove the wire from the spark plug to turn it of- J got a real good shock last year b/c whatever he used to try to disconnect the wires did not have a rubber coated handle! We thank my dad for this wonderful tool :)

I turned over the garden a bunch yesterday afternoon- trying to exposing any grubs that may be in the soil, and the chickens had a great time following me around and eating all of the bugs that turned up! I think the rooster got a little insecure about my finding all of the food, because at one point, he grabbed a piece of hay and called them all over....sort of like "hey, I'm the one that finds you food!!"

Sorry to hear about your hawk loss anna- we lost one friday to a hawk, but didn't actually see it. I hear you on being into the birds though...hawks are pretty amazing, it's too bad that they want to eat our chickens!
I had 3 huge ones circling my yard this weekend. For some reason, they love to circle in my air space... and I haven't even put any chicks out yet! I doubt that i'll ever be able to free range.

I don't know why I do this to myself, but I went to TSC today w/ out the hubby or kids, and they had chicks.
roll.png
No one was there to tell me no, the chicks were super cute, and I just "needed" 6 White Leghorn chicks. (And I still haven't told the hubby that I went to the swap on saturday or what I got there. He works out of state.) Do you think he will notice the Leghorn chicks in with the Dominique,Red Dorking, Wheaten Marans and Ameraucana chicks that are due to hatch Friday? He won't be home until the 18th.
wink.png
In my defense, 4 of the Leghorn chicks are going to my mom and dad when they start laying, and if my parents ever finish (or start) building their coop.
Now, fess up... you planned the trip so there wasn't any one to witness the transaction, didn't you???

Back
Top Bottom