Maine

Well finally got the ducks and the baby chicks out of the house and into the little store bought coop. GAAHH!!! Ducks stink!!! I took them outside because one of the baby chicks had flown out of my brooder. Took me about 20 minutes to catch the crazy little thing. I kept three out of the 6 survivors of my hatch.
It appears that they are all going to be roosters right now. Still too young to be positive.
I have way too many roosters now. I have my red rooster ORson who i'd rather re-home. He's just too good a rooster to eat not to mention pretty. I also have another EE rooster which is a black/silver cross Ameraucana. Parents were full bloods but he has reddish bleeding so not considered a "true" Ameraucana. Lady I bought him from breeds for egg color and has really bright blue eggs.
Anyone near Clinton need or want a free rooster or two? The younger ones I will probably harvest for food next spring. Pic is of Orson.

Attachments

• Orson.jpg
    Orson.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 2
Orson is a pretty boy. I'm struggling with my own roo decisions here. I have my avatar EE roo, Jack. He'll be 4 years old this spring. He throws real pretty egg color, and has provided me with several generations of black sex links. He's a good Daddy, loves his babies, a bit rough on the hen's backs... I've kept 1 BE, with #2 as back up. My desire would be for Jack and #1 to play nicely together with the hens, and for them to all be one happy family for the winter. Um... Yeah... I wear rose colored glasses! So, during the next few weeks, I'll be occasionally letting the BE boys out of the bachelor pad one at a time for a little romance. See how well they treat the ladies. Then, based on what I see, may set up a bachelor pad in the winter sunroom for Jack and #1. Or cull both BE's. Or perhaps Jack only because of his advancing age. :hit

Orson a nice looking boy!!

Good news...no more rats!! Yup, traded my rat problem for a weasel problem.

It got in through a hole (now fixed) the rats had made near the popdoor. I thought it was odd that I hadn't seen any rats lately. Saturday morning I opened the coop to find 9 of my girls & my roo wiped out. I had 2 survivors, Vern (my PR) & Benedicta (a BA). The mamas & babies were in separate pens. But the little SOB came back Monday during the day and took out Blue (my Sizzle) & her 2 babies who were in the people area of my coop. She was one of my very first girls so that was rough!! Why it didn't take out everyone who was in the pen is beyond me!!! I've got Matilda & her babies plus Vern & Benedicta secured in the garage. They are NOT happy! Trap is set in the coop waiting for the murderer to return to the scene of the crime!

Orson a nice looking boy!!

Good news...no more rats!! Yup, traded my rat problem for a weasel problem.

It got in through a hole (now fixed) the rats had made near the popdoor. I thought it was odd that I hadn't seen any rats lately. Saturday morning I opened the coop to find 9 of my girls & my roo wiped out. I had 2 survivors, Vern (my PR) & Benedicta (a BA). The mamas & babies were in separate pens. But the little SOB came back Monday during the day and took out Blue (my Sizzle) & her 2 babies who were in the people area of my coop. She was one of my very first girls so that was rough!! Why it didn't take out everyone who was in the pen is beyond me!!! I've got Matilda & her babies plus Vern & Benedicta secured in the garage. They are NOT happy! Trap is set in the coop waiting for the murderer to return to the scene of the crime!
:hugs that stinks!! hope you catch it soon!!

Weasel and mink are my worst nightmare. Anyone know if they will chew to get into a coop? Or do they just slither into an existing opening?

Coop Chick, what are you baiting the trap with? Using one of the dead birds??? I hear they are tough to catch.

Weasel and mink are my worst nightmare. Anyone know if they will chew to get into a coop? Or do they just slither into an existing opening?

Coop Chick, what are you baiting the trap with? Using one of the dead birds??? I hear they are tough to catch.

Thanks everyone!

LG, I am using my Roos head. Gruesome I know but I told him his death will not be in vain! I'm getting another trap that I will use one of the dead in. So far nothing though. I'm buying batteries today for my game cam and setting it up tonight. I'm going stand the smaller trap up against a wall so that It will have to crawl up to get the bait. Ive heard they're hard to catch too.

Back
Top Bottom