Maine

I have 2 Ducks for sale! I blue runner Cockeral hatched in may, and a Khaki campbell cock, hatched last may! Runner from dennis, and khaki from hatchery but has won best of breed in all 4 shows in the past 2 years he has been shown in! Both $20.00. Then I have a male dutch mix bunny. (chocolate colored) He is $20.00 as well!

Quote:
Rumford has a paper mill. It stinks. Really!

Maine has few jobs except for the coast where tourism reigns.

Also, Mainers do not like people from "away". I've lived in Maine for 8 years now after moving here from southern New Hampshire and I'm still considered an outsider. Try northern New Hampshire where the natives are friendlier.

Wow, really? I'm from New York and have NEVER been made to feel that way. I swear Maine people are the most hospitable people I have ever been around!

If someone moves here from another state and tries to change the area where they move to to something like where they moved from, yes, they might meet a very loud resistance to that. More than likely if you move to wherever you will be welcomed without any problems. Mainahs like their state the way it is, "Maine, the way life should be". There are jobs to be had most anywhere, BUT, you won't find the high paying jobs unless you go to the big cities. Yes, the tourism industry is a big part of Maine culture as we have alot to offer in that respect. There is more than just coastal attractions here. We have wonderful state parks with camping and hiking, we have alot of ski areas that are starting to offer things to do in the summer also. Then we have northern Maine with it's vast woodlands offering a ton of things to do not only in summer but winter also. The jobs being offered are minimum wage for the most part, they are jobs that alot would consider beneath them. I worked those jobs, sometimes 2 and 3 at a time but it paid the bills. Maine is not an easy state to live in, you have to be tough, that is how it is, but it is a great state to live in. Most people would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it.

I would love to make a comment on the terrible attitudes of Mainers, but instead I'll go along with the black head issue that Hoppy mentioned. I have raised my birds together for many years now, placing my chicks together to use the virus that turkeys have that will prevent the Mereks disease, it has actually worked for me and I cheer it on. The Black head, that subject seems to pass many Mainers by. Some of the "good ole boys" have never heard or have had black head in heritage breeds- Not saying they didn't call it something else, but so far so good on my part. (I hope my fortune continues and good luck in your choices-don't follow me, I'm lost most of the time).
If we are not so great people, perhaps we should look at the good that this site has done, chickenswaps and the super progress that the poultry clubs have done to educate, assist and encourage showmanship. God bless America, as long as we all love chickens, we are united!
D.gif

I just got done catching up on the last 5 or 6 pages of posts, it suddenly occurred to me that I had not seen any BYC emails lately.
I free range my flock of chickens ducks and turkeys during the day and shut them in the barn at night, sometimes the turkeys roost on top of the barn along with two of the Muscovies. The turkeys seem to know when the weather will be bad and choose to go in the barn at sundown. The two ducks weathered the storm on top of the barn last night.
This morning I opened the barn door and it was a comedy, freeze frame, as the chickens who are usually out first stood frozen in the doorway. The ducks went out as usual but the turkeys and most of the chickens have stayed in the barn today. We got I think around 6 inches of snow, but it is melting nicely. I may have to think about taking the ACs out of the windows, LOL.

I have decided not to winter over my turkeys and also don't want to eat them so I am offering them for sale. if anyone is interested let me know. they came from people here on byc from eggs I hatched. one is a bourbon red hen, 1 black slate and 1 royal palm, could be sweetgrass- I just can't say it's pure but that's a tom. those are all going. my life is way too complicated right now to deal with the turkeys. I lost another chicken last night. I swear, I was in the yard, went inside for less then 2 mins to get scratch feed and then could not find the bird which I know I had just seen. I searched inside the coop and the area 6 times that night, no sign of it at all. I guess the one thankful thing is that was a rooster not a hen. now I'm so bummed out, less chickens to keep the coop warm, snow which I hate, someone decided to fill up the chicken run with dried leaves and pine needles so they could compost it (does this person not realize, chickens don't eat any of that stuff and all it's doing is getting into the water dish on a daily basis further complicating my life)

Got the rabbit hutches all moved around for winter yesterday, gave the chicken coop a good thorough cleaning and got the lights hooked up in the coop. I really don't think I'll need the heat lamp for the coop, while I was cleaning the coop it was pretty warm in there. I went out this morning and shoveled a path for the chickens to come out if they wanted to. 1 by 1 they came out stepped in the snow and went back in the coop. This evening I went out to gather eggs and saw this bright blue egg in the nest. Our first blue egg YAY. The bigger chickens have finally accepted the babies, well babies isn't the best word since they are 10 weeks old. I guess everything is good in chicken land. What was supposed to be a flock of 6 to try and see if we wanted to really have chickens turned into 18 chickens (dang chicken math). I'm pretty darn proud of my family, each getting involved in some way, the kids gathering eggs and playing with the chickens and even helping clean the coop, the wife for agreeing to get them.. We started it with 12 chicks that were a week old. Took in 4 hens from a friend and even hatched out a few. And we only lost one chicken out of 19 (she had a terrible crash while learning to fly and broke her leg, she couldn't move at all so we didn't let her suffer). Pretty good for newbies at this.

Last edited:
44824_sunroom8-29-11.jpg
DH finally built something to keep the wind out of the silkie coop,we call it there sunroom because he put clear plastic around it after he got the frame built.Of coarse they were afraid of it and we had to show them and put them in the first night,then yesterday it snowed so I didn`t let them out untill late in the afternoon and only three would venture out and then had a hard time fiqureing out how to get back in but they did it after awhile.I love my chickens but they are not the sharpest tack in the box. lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom