Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

I love my feeder buckets

I built my first one this week and put a little food in the mouth. My younger birds (9 weeks) warmed up to quickly and are the only ones eating from it. My older ones (19 weeks) walk right past it to go the old reliable hanger. I'm guessing the older ones will use it eventually.

The only modification I made to the original design was I used a kitty litter bucket that had flat surfaces (square bucket). Also, since it was outside I caulked around the pipe. Very easy to make. I used a Dremel tool with a rotary bit to cut the hole making sure to cut INSIDE the traced line.

Depending on the sizes it might be too low for the older birds. Maybe put it up on something and have a step for the smaller ones.

Anyone know if this will work for my ducks? I do have a couple other feeders if they can't get their bills in there. Was just curious...

After a trip to lowes & seeing how big the opening of the 3" pipe really is I think my ducks can probably get their heads in there. If not it'll be entertaining to watch!

Last edited:
...After a trip to lowes & seeing how big the opening of the 3" pipe really is I think my ducks can probably get their heads in there. If not it'll be entertaining to watch!

I don't have ducks, so I can't say for certain, but I was going to suggest that the 3-inch elbows are really big. I just got three to make a feeder that my roosters can get their heads in (they don't like to stick their heads in if their combs bump), and I was thinking about your post while I was standing in Lowes with my whole hand stuck through a three-inch street-connection elbow.

Back
Top Bottom