Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Recomachi, thanks for the input. Will it make much difference if I go to the trouble to try to get them to "imprint" on me and hand raise them? With my pheasants, the only somewhat tame one is the one I did that with. The others, except for a male Elliot, will eat out of my hand, but won't let me touch them. BTW, where abouts are you located? It looks like you have plenty of space for your flock.

Bing.com has Madarin Drakes as the background today... :yesss:

th

I've got a ton of questions about starting a Mandarin aviary/coop. Should I post here or start a new topic in this (ornamental) section?

Question 1: I'm going to build the aviary off the end of an existing shed roof. There is a concrete slab. Will that be ok on their feet? (they will have a small pond in the aviary and lots of natural roosts, as well as a nesting/coop area with straw, etc)

Last edited:
If you collect all the eggs laid daily and hatch the eggs under broody hens (chickens), will the females continue to lay?
Is it better to leave the eggs be and let the Mandarin hatch them herself
When is the best time to collect eggs if such a thing exists?

I just Bought a Split to White Male with a White Female Pair from Mallard Lane Farms.

I also need Aviary's ideas?

Okay so has anyone here incubated mandarin eggs? I just bought some hatching eggs and I was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips . I have mandarins but I didn’t get them as babies so they’re not really tame :/. But with the hatching eggs coming in I hope to get the babies to imprint and become more tame around people. (Not to mention the ones I can’t keep can find better homes that way )

IMG-20190211-WA0049.jpeg
here's an idea of my Mandarin ducks aviary. I personally like to make their pen as natural as possible with plants etc but sgt.p i have heard of folks doing well in a concrete and metal type aviary..... but their feet get really sore on concrete all the time. And as far as trios. Yea they do great when the males mate starts laying and setting he will take the other hen.

Back
Top Bottom