Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
Ah ok, now that you mention it he was preening them a lot, so I guess that must be the cause. They don't look too bad though. No idea what could be wrong with him, he seems healthy enough.

Any more babies chickenlisa? I decided to bring my 2 mandarin eggs in this morning. I`ve come to the conclusion that they must not have actually internally piped when I candled them the last time, because they would have hatched by now. They are definitely still alive tho and they have definitely internally piped now because one of them peeped when I picked it up! Hopefully they'll hatch ok in the incubator. The temperature and humidity's good, but I`m still worried. Any suggestions? I would have just left them under the female for awhile longer, but I think I`ve kinda freaked her out checking on her eggs because she was off the nest for quite a while this morning.
yep, I just
went out to check because I heard a lot of Mama chirping noises...but it was another female I guess. This is what I found when I snapped a quick pic...looks like at least 6 babies so far. I can see 6 at least...

I'd go ahead and put them back...their noises may call her back onto the nest too.
Has anyone ever pulled the babies out of the nest after they hatch but before they hop out?m I have a potential buyer for some of them and she said she'll let me know. If she wants them as wee babies, I'd have to pull them from the box. I can't catch them without scattering them and maybe having a disaster...I wouldn't want to try it after they hop out until they are much bigger and older.

Ok, that's probably what I`ll do then. My only concern is that if they do hatch and leave the nest I`ll probably lose them because my pen is not set up for babies. :(

yep, I just
went out to check because I heard a lot of Mama chirping noises...but it was another female I guess. This is what I found when I snapped a quick pic...looks like at least 6 babies so far. I can see 6 at least...
love.gif

Ok, that's probably what I`ll do then. My only concern is that if they do hatch and leave the nest I`ll probably lose them because my pen is not set up for babies. :(

then I would not put them back if the pen isn't set up for babies yet. They escape way too easily... hatch inside and brood them indoors in a safe brooder box (covered) until they are big enough to not escape from your pen.

I have my hens hatch their ducklings and take them from the nest. It works, its just heartbreaking seeing them search for their babies. Only once have I timed wrong and had to catch ducklings that jumped out. They do fine, they are just skittish at first.

Quote:
I have my hens hatch their ducklings and take them from the nest. It works, its just heartbreaking seeing them search for their babies. Only once have I timed wrong and had to catch ducklings that jumped out. They do fine, they are just skittish at first.
Ok, that's probably what I`ll do next time then. I wish I had done that this time, but they're in the incubator now and I`m kind of nervous to move them. I tend to think they should do ok in the incubator, but this is my only chance to get babies until next year, so its really making me nervous.

yep, I just
Oh my godness, what a nice ducklings!!!

Back
Top Bottom