Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
I have purchased a pair of Mandarin Ducks. They are beautiful birds and I have high hopes of being able to show them. But we have one slight problem...they are completely wild. They were hatched at a large hatchery and not hand tamed at all so consequently by the time we got them as juveniles they were wild. We got them last October and since then we have been working very hard to tame them down but no success. We have a nice aviary we built especially for them but have recently moved them into a smaller pen in hopes they would get used to people being around them. We have also tried Rescue Remedy drops. Nothing works. They have even actually injured themselves trying to get away from us. We need something that will calm them down so they can be held and eventually taken to shows and examined by judges. Does anyone have any suggestions? We paid a lot of money for them and it's very discouraging when we can't even hold them. At this point I think medicine is the only thing left. We raise other ducks, we keep them separated, but never had problems like this before.

I have purchased a pair of Mandarin Ducks. They are beautiful birds and I have high hopes of being able to show them. But we have one slight problem...they are completely wild. They were hatched at a large hatchery and not hand tamed at all so consequently by the time we got them as juveniles they were wild. We got them last October and since then we have been working very hard to tame them down but no success. We have a nice aviary we built especially for them but have recently moved them into a smaller pen in hopes they would get used to people being around them. We have also tried Rescue Remedy drops. Nothing works. They have even actually injured themselves trying to get away from us. We need something that will calm them down so they can be held and eventually taken to shows and examined by judges. Does anyone have any suggestions? We paid a lot of money for them and it's very discouraging when we can't even hold them. At this point I think medicine is the only thing left. We raise other ducks, we keep them separated, but never had problems like this before.
They can be pretty timid and they may not settle down enough for you to be able to show them. However, if you breed them then you may be able to get tame ducklings that you will eventually be able to show if you hand rear them. Do you have a nest box for them?

My first mandarin duckling! Ive got an external pip and 3 more internal ones, so hopefully company is on its way for him! I lost my pair somehow last week,so super excited to get these. :)

[COLOR=333333]I have purchased a pair of Mandarin Ducks. They are beautiful birds and I have high hopes of being able to show them. But we have one slight problem...they are completely wild. They were hatched at a large hatchery and not hand tamed at all so consequently by the time we got them as juveniles they were wild. We got them last October and since then we have been working very hard to tame them down but no success. We have a nice aviary we built especially for them but have recently moved them into a smaller pen in hopes they would get used to people being around them. We have also tried Rescue Remedy drops. Nothing works. They have even actually injured themselves trying to get away from us. We need something that will calm them down so they can be held and eventually taken to shows and examined by judges. Does anyone have any suggestions? We paid a lot of money for them and it's very discouraging when we can't even hold them. At this point I think medicine is the only thing left. We raise other ducks, we keep them separated, but never had problems like this before. [/COLOR]

Not many preople show mandarins because of this issue. They are wild ducks....not the ducks we've domesticated over hundreds of years. It's their instinct. I did my research and knew this...I do hope I can get the babies more tame, but I don't think they'll ever be cuddly ducks to be held. I would never drug my animals....they are just doing what their instincts tell them. :( You should wait until they have babies and try to cage train them and hand feed to tame them down.

Last edited:

I bought mandarins too and they were completely wild it took me over a year to calm them down so i could get about a foot away from them without them flying off. And like everyone else said they are wild ducks not many people that i know of have mandarins they can pick up and hold.

More hatching today! Woohoo! I have mealworms in the brooder and chick feed, anything else i should give them to eat? Love the little guys, they are so stinkin cute. All flat and pancake shaped compared to my calls, lol, and they have such thick down!

Back
Top Bottom