Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
I'm really interested in getting mandarins some time and wondered how hard they were to raise. Do you have to keep them penned always or do they stay around?

They'll fly away if they are free, and if they are pinioned, predators will get them easily. We keep ours penned up, double layers of netting over the top, and fully winged so they can fly inside their pen.

I have a 16x30 x 8 ft high. I have 4 ducks and a pair of peafowl in there. They also have a 10x 8 shed attached. They are a joy to watch and easy to raise. :) I feed them duck food and give them treats like romain lettuce, apples and pears( with seeds removed).

I have a 16x30 x 8 ft high. I have 4 ducks and a pair of peafowl in there. They also have a 10x 8 shed attached. They are a joy to watch and easy to raise. :) I feed them duck food and give them treats like romain lettuce, apples and pears( with seeds removed).

Thanks for the info!! I really want to get some but the shelter and pen looks like a pretty big protect! :( do you have a pond in their pen?

Yes I do. It's small but nice. My dad helped me put it in...we put a drain in the bottom and ran pipe out to the hay field. I have a shut off valve on the outside.

Thank you! :) I'll get more pictures.
I had been given some used 2x4 wire so I put that on the bottom half and covered it with chicken wire. The top 4ft is 1x2 galvanized wire. I have nylon netting on top....predators aren't really a problem here so I don't worry about anything crawling up and tearing through it.

Thank you! :) I'll get more pictures.
I had been given some used 2x4 wire so I put that on the bottom half and covered it with chicken wire. The top 4ft is 1x2 galvanized wire. I have nylon netting on top....predators aren't really a problem here so I don't worry about anything crawling up and tearing through it.

Awesome! I'm using deer netting over the top of my peas pen right now. They're right next to our shed/garage so I haven't worried too much about predators getting them either.

Back
Top Bottom