Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
Quote:
I found Comb Ducks.. and I am on the List, not Sylvan Heights.... I need a new hobby because this one is becoming expensive.

Now to find a breeder age bufflehead hen since I just lost one of mine. but my two little smews and two mergansers (weird how I ended up with 2 of each) are doing good. and I have found somewhere (same place as the Combs) that I can get them mates... Now if only my permit would come in...

and like I need more birds but I have founda really good deal on Trios of Barrows Goldeneye but how well do they do in Trios? My pair never leave each other side.

congrats,
darn I ask how much combs sell for now a days?

Some golden eye will trio but yes they often do best in pairs, BUT with the average 3-1 hatch hens to males, some times it's hard too

Hi Aubrey,

Can you tell me the sex of these two Madarin Duckling? They're about 3-4 months old.

Thanks,
Do Tran

85416_mandarin_1.jpg

85416_mandarin_3.jpg

Quote:
Correction! These Duckling about 6 weeks old.

mighty big for 6 weeks, 3-4 months looks better to me
hard to be 100 % on them at the moment but looks to be MAYBE a male in the forground, definately hen in back..kinda feeling hen on both though
age kinda has me thrown a bit. Bill should be pinker for the males but if they are 6 weeks, then it wouldnt be just yet.

still kinda bet they are both hens though

Thank you Aubrey. I bought these 5 weeks ago and do not remember if the lady told me that they're about 6 days or 6 weeks. I bought these of craigslist and lost the seller ino. Here is another picture of them.

85416_mandarin_4.jpg

well at 6 days, they would have been tiny duckling just a few inches long, 6 weeks, they been starting to loose down and get a few feathers on them if that helps.

give it a little time and we'll be able to help a bit more, but really think it's both going to be hens. you can vent sex them now if you'd like.
I can explain how if you want me too. Really quick and easy once you get the feel for it.

Quote:
They were very tiny and no feather at all, must be six days then. They are free range on my back yard & living in the bushes by the koi pond, I don't think I can catch them to vent sex them now. They come to close to me to eat koi pellets every time I feed the koi. At what age does the male Duckling starting to change bill color?

yep Do,
was going to say the same thing, there's a 90% + chance they are gonna fly off on you.
I had one last summer, I was just to lazy to catch up when it got out. follwed me all over the yard come feeding time, then one day (about 6 months old) just took off and never looked back.

Usually you tell the bill is getting pinker by 10-12 weeks. Give 'em a month or so still and repost new pics and we'll take another look at them.
wink.png

try to get some of them out in the open too where you can see them unobstructed, that'll help

Last edited:
Ok. I found the lady that sold me these duckling and she told me that they were 10 days old when I picked them up, that would make them 6-7 weeks old now. They look big in the picture but they're a little more than half my call duck. I was planning to feather clipping them when their wing feather get a little bit longer, any ideas on how to catch them? I was thinking about putting food inside my dog kennel and wait for them to come in to eat then close the kennel door, that way we can use the big koi net to catch them while they're inside the kennel. Here are more pictures of them on land

85416_mandarin_5.jpg

85416_mandarin_5a.jpg

85416_mandarin_6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom