Mapuche Huastec Thread

Beautiful birds! What are the qualities and characteristics of this landrace fowl? Did they originate from low-lying jungle areas or high-altitude mountainous areas? I assume they're very good at foraging their own grub? How are they as broodies and mamas? Are they good meat birds? Do the roosters ever show any human aggression? Does anyone raise them in an extremely cold environment; if so, how do they do in the winter? Thank you
A BYC member named Resolution has written much information on this forum about them. Type in the search bar "A Passion for Rare Poultry Antiquities". That is one thread that he started. Then you can click on his name to find all the threads he started and you will be able to get all your questions answered, as well as reading through this entire thread.

Last edited:
Hi was looking for huastec chickens in NC if there were any breeders here?

Specifically any near Asheville in mountains or chapel Hill which is the Piedmont region.

Last edited:
I have a composite available. Huastec/Quetros
He has no crest but he is double tufted, hens plucked them. They're small but growing back.

Last edited:
Are you interested in a Huastec pair? I was just given 8 juvies and it appears I have new rooster genetics to work with. I thought I'd pass on my good fortune to anyone that would be willing to pay for S&H + $25. The rooster is a good daddy and gentle with the girls, and the hen does not appear to like setting, and last winter she broke eggs and ate them, she seemed to get over it when she started foraging outside in the spring

I would be happy to find this pair a new home for the price of S&H, I have a post office approved shipping box I can reuse.

Back
Top Bottom