Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Glad to see a friendly thread on Black Copper Marans. I love ours and they continue to be one of the most popular birds and eggs we have!!!! Folks keep trying to incubate them out of the "eating eggs" and have no success because all eating eggs are thoroughly washed! But I don't blame them. Thank you Lord, I keep having people want chicks, birds and eggs and year round! We love to work with them and our other flocks.

Here's a pic of some of the eggs. I'll search and post a pic of our flocks later, but I must go start farm chores in a few minutes. These eggs were "first eggs" and of course over time lighten.
8875_bcmmail.jpg

Have a blessed day! Nancy

Quote:
Hi Beeker!!! Glad to see you here! I know several people that prefer the clean legged bird to the feather legged bird. I also have one blue copper hen that has clean legs and I do use her in the breeding pen, here's why, feathered shanks are way easier to breed back in to the offspring in my opinion, so if the bird has good type, good egg color, eye color and temperment, I use them. For myself, all the fun is in seeing what can be created.
*edited to add* My favorite Marans here at my house is my clean legged roo.
wink.png

Last edited:
I wanted to mention something regarding combs as it relates to the point system I posted earlier - in the old Marans thread, someone questioned how many points would be taken off for an incorrect number of points in the comb - I have just gotten confirmation that 1/2 point would be deducted from the 5 points possible for comb if there is an extra point. So, for those of you wanting ot show, if you've got a cockerel/rooster that's correct in most every except comb, I'd most DEFINITELY go ahead & show him!

Hi Pink, glad to see you made it here! Well, today is the beginning of day 24, with nothing new in the bator. Could've sworn I heard an inshell "peep peep" last night, so I'm still slightly hopeful, but it doesn't look good. The new bator comes on Tuesday, but then I won't have any eggs to test, so got to find something close to test it out! Even though the LG I have now is supposedly no good as far as bators go, it has performed well as far as stable temps. If I had not been here to monitor the humidity, there would've been problems. Kathy, 100% hatch?? I'm really feeling inadequate now!
hit.gif
Little Pipsqueak is up and running around this morning, eating and drinking, so that's good. Hopefully, my $40.00 chick will at least be a pullet
barnie.gif
More than likely, with Murphy's law always in play here, she will be a mossy, 8 pointed comb, feather-less shanked, squirrel-tailed roo! LOL! C'est la vie...

Anyone close to me, (Missouri) have any good French Blue Marans eggs right now?? Pink, yours are in molt now aren't they? Then there's the heat, so the shorter the trip, the better. Think I will stick to Black Copper and Blue Copper/blue birds for any breeding programs to come.

Pink, I saw something the other day on Flamingos, and it jogged my mind as to why they are the pink color. Ever try feeding your chooks shrimp?? Maybe you could feed it to your White Marans, and end up with Pink Marans?? Oh the crazy stuff I think of with my nose pressed up against the bator window!
lau.gif

Quote:
Question for ya Wynette........if a 1/2 point is deducted for an extra point, what would the deduction for not enough points be?? Would that be a 1/2 point as well??

Wynette that's good to know!! If I ever get any birds worth showing, and I'm sure eventually I will (say in November?
wink.png
), then I may have to give it a shot. So far, the closest show I've seen near me was in Sedalia, MO., and that's not real close. With my arthritis, it's hard to drive long distances and still be able to move once I get there...

Quote:
Thanks Debbi! I'll follow my fellow Marans lovers anywhere so that we can talk about them!
big_smile.png

Yep...the girls are molting and molting HARD! I feel so bad for them, I've increased their protien intake a little more than I normally do, hoping it will help them out even just a little. They look pathetic.

I have Flamingos all over the property, even have a 6 ft metal geeky bird flamingo in the front yard....first thing you see when you pull up. lol! I would be in heaven if there was a pink chicken and believe you me, I would wait for an eternity on any waiting list for them.
big_smile.png

If they layed a dark egg that would be the penultimate.

Last edited:
Combs, that is 1/2 point for over or under five, that is half a point for each. I would suggest that anyone wanting to show get a copy of the Standard of Perfection. The new copy should be out this fall or winter. Don

Back
Top Bottom