Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
Katherine....nice to see you here
smile.png
She got my non-feathered Marans for her laying flock. But Katherine, if you want some feathered legged chicks so you can breed to the standard...I can hook you up
wink.png

I hatched my Marans from two breeders last fall. I culled early for conformation and coloring, later for egg color. The nice thing about Marans is that the hens that don't make the cut can be housed with other pure breeds as their eggs are so recognizable. I ended up with only one Black Copper roo and pullet, and one Blue Copper pullet in the breeding pen. I choose my non feathered roo over many feathered because I liked his comb, coppering, size, eye color and temperament. His tail set is a bit high, but looking better recently since he has molted out those pesky top feathers. His tail type is fairly short and tight, as I'm understanding the French standard calls for. He's throwing 70-80% feathered chicks, and out of these I'm looking for a roo with his good qualities, but with leg feathering and more saddle color.

Beau:
40145_dsc06106_copy.jpg

40145_dsc06023_copy.jpg

Egg color on both girls is about the same, the Black Copper lays a more matte finish round egg, the Blue Copper's is redder with dark stippling, and very glossy. She is my champion layer of all my chickens. She started laying at 18 weeks in teens temps in January, and even in this heat wave is still laying 4-6 a week and color is still pretty good. I'm hoping she passes on her egg productivity and color to the next generation.

Some of her eggs:
40145_dsc02021_copy.jpg

I'm pretty excited about the 10 week old chicks from these. I have two Black Copper roo's, one from each hen, coloring in a bit differently, but showing no faults thus far:
40145_dsc07090_copy.jpg

40145_dsc07035_copy.jpg

The girls are solid bodied and a few are getting nice coppering already:
40145_dsc07045_copy.jpg

40145_dsc07020_copy.jpg

Leg feathering on most is not very heavy as per the proposed standard, I'm thinking my non feathered roo helped me here. These sisters modeling their lightly feathered legs:
40145_dsc07015_copy.jpg

Anyway, I know I have a long road ahead. As they develop I'll be focusing on how they finish out; eye color, egg color, etc. I'm hoping I can end up with a decent flock without having to raise (feed, house) a hundred birds. The challenge and journey of this work in progress is so exciting
smile.png

ep.gif
Those are DANG NICE birds... I mean real nice looking... I like your roo... I like all the birds you posted... NNNNNIIIICCCE.. What line are these.. Super pix also..
droolin.gif
bow.gif

Im excited, Im getting a new rooster on Tuesday. Im bought him from ChooksChick. Hes still young, but looks much better than the roo I have right now. He has feathered legs and way less red in his chest area. So hopefully Ill be able to breed him with my hens in a few months.

On a side note, what cause chickens tail feathers to be frilly looking. Sorry I dont know any other word for it.

This is NOT my picture, this was taken by ChooksChick
14596_img_27961.jpg

YAY ! ! ! A Marans thread!
smile.png

Recently I hatched these eggs ....

31282_1broodies_and_chicks_001_12.jpg

Here are some of the chicks today, at 8 weeks old (not the Lavender one) ....

31282_8-07-10_186.jpg

31282_8-07-10_192.jpg

31282_8-07-10_151.jpg

31282_8-07-10_153.jpg

31282_8-07-10_158.jpg

31282_8-07-10_159.jpg

31282_8-07-10_170.jpg

31282_8-07-10_181.jpg

Same bird as the one just above ...

31282_8-07-10_197.jpg

31282_8-07-10_182.jpg

31282_8-07-10_183.jpg

31282_8-07-10_184.jpg

31282_8-07-10_195.jpg

Feel free to comment HONESTLY. It won't hurt my feelings! Really, it won't!
lol.png

posting just to subscribe!

my ten FCBMs (6.5 weeks and 12.5 wks) are coming along--still waiting on culling, as i am taking geebs' advice on seeing how the adult coloring, etc. comes out) and my 3 CMs are starting to lay. exciting stuff!

thanks for the re-set, wynette! i'm interested in the breed for several reasons, and it's nice to not feel completely left out just because my beginning birds aren't SOP. i like hearing about all that stuff, but also seeing a variety of birds and eggs, even those that are utility or even those that are ugly, etc.

I almost forgot.... HI Pinkchick!!!!
hugs.gif
Hi Kathinmo!!!
hugs.gif
Good to see ya... Freaked me out about the thread snaffoo... Cool to see ya.. You are going to have to throw some of the fashion show in blue up here too Pinkchick I think I did my duty already to this thread... maybe not... Call me on it if I didn't... I took some freshies today but can't figure out how to download.. (kid is gone for the weekend)... I don't know what I would do with this technology without a teen showing me what to do!!! ha ha.. Geez those are nice eggies... Who are they from (I forgot)... comes with age.. wellyou know Kathinmo ha ha
lau.gif

Hi Hathor!!! What do you think of the new digs??? pull up a chair and post a while.
pop.gif
. Let's see some recent pix. There is always room for a new marans breeder/owner etc... The more the merrier... We are all beginners at something. I would tell you what I was "new at" but it would hijack the thread!!! ha ha.
hide.gif

Last edited:
My baby Golden Cuckoos are growing up but still have a long time to go. My hatchery Cuckoos are beginning to lay well and 3 out of the 5 have pretty nice eggs must be part appy (horse talk) the eggs are very spotted with brick color. I am in love with the Roo what a man they were out again and the Delaware escapees were trying to get in his pen only hens allowed no roos and he didn't cause any real fights just ran them off stood in his doorway looking at me to fix it. My DH was helping today and wasn't really paying attention to him and he calmly walked out of the pen trying to get in the run my honey went to pick him up and poof right thru the panel he went (these are livestock panels little squares on the bottom get bigger on the way up) was amazed he fit thru it now he understands why they get locked up in the good run at night. Out of 25 hatchery birds I have 2 that I'm keeping I hope to be able to keep a few more from the ones I hatched...those seem nicer and bigger so I hope to have more keepers....mostly I have hatched pullets from the Cuckoos 50/50 on the BC's but the quality on those are all over the place and I hope that they will come close to SOP on size compared to the CM's they are smaller....

Back
Top Bottom