Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I have a young group of marans. A few months old. I thin the flock what should be my main focus. Some have nice leg feathers but not so good copper coloring. Others are the opposite. I know i need to consoder body type as well. Any advice appreciated.

Izzie, at 3 weeks old today. She is getting ever so slightly bigger, but her feathering is filling in. For some reason she is the only one that gets picked on out with the older chicks. When I supervise their free range time, the only pecking happens by my Barred Rock towards her. Its minimal, but its also interesting that its specifically just her. And ironic that its from a Barred Rock hen to her given the resemblance. But she is still super sweet and very spastic and entertaining to watch.

My favorite little cockerel. No sprigs, nice legs, birchen silver starting to show on the hackles. Culling hard thos year, cleaning up the group, they are gonna toe the line after this season! He came out of a nice dark egg too! Here is hoping he grows out well!

My favorite little cockerel. No sprigs, nice legs, birchen silver starting to show on the hackles. Culling hard thos year, cleaning up the group, they are gonna toe the line after this season! He came out of a nice dark egg too! Here is hoping he grows out well!

I love birchens. Are you sure this one is a male? The comb looks girly. My Maran male has a huge red fleshy comb and he's only 2 months old.

I am fairly new to chickens. I picked up 4 Marans this afternoon and wondered if anyone could tell me exactly what I brought home (as far as color) or if it was too soon to tell.

I have 2 that are 5.5 weeks old. They look pretty much identical. Here is a picture of 1.

Please excuse the wet feathers. They spilled their water.

I also have 2 that are 1.5 weeks old. They look pretty much identical too. Here is a picture of 1.

Thanks for your help! I want to call them the right breed/color.

Back
Top Bottom