March 2017! Hatch with us!

Well here I am onto hatch number three of four. I've successfully hatched 10 EEs so far at 100% hatch rate. I have 10 that are set to hatch this weekend, and an additional 9 next weekend. I had to toss one for it was a quitter on Thursday. So onto the March hatch along for me.
1f44d-1f3fb.png
1f606.png

Well here I am onto hatch number three of four. I've successfully hatched 10 EEs so far at 100% hatch rate. I have 10 that are set to hatch this weekend, and an additional 9 next weekend. I had to toss one for it was a quitter on Thursday. So onto the March hatch along for me.
1f44d-1f3fb.png
1f606.png

I forgot to add I have two pips already on hatch number 3. The reason for the already is because my hatches have been running a day behind due to temp being a little low in the incubator they develop in days 1-18. I put them into my Genisis 1588 for hatching. I know most of you are like why don't you up the temperature in the other unit then dummy. Well the answer is if any of you have used a Farm Innovators 4200 you know how touchy the temp control is. I've tried bumping it up and it goes haywire. So needless to say I've decided to leave well enough alone and just go with the extra day to hatch. The crazy part to all of this is some of them do actually hatch on the correct day.
1f44f-1f3fb.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

If it is a smaller incubator you can add a sponge or wet rag into it. It is all about surface area. It works really good for me. But if it is a cabinet try putting an extra wick into the water tray. Hope it works. Good luck with your hatch.

I'm using a little giant brand foam incubator. Im trying to get 45-50% and have only made it to 30%. I have a sponge in there know and that really helped.

Thanks for that link. I had to see the egg color in order to recognize it. Yes, the lightest of the pinks is what I'm getting, 2 eggs so far. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out--I hope happily--since the pullet who II suspect is laying the pink ones has moved to the "Condo" in front of the house (with lights). Last summer a friend had a large hatch and I got 2 cockerels and 2 pullets. It's one of them. Pics coming soon.

I had a rooster like that he tried and tried but he got chased every time by a ticked off hen was funny to watch! Now you know as well as all of the addicts here we hope for a 100% hatch
1f602.png
. I hope myself one day to hatch a full incubator and I have a small one it only holds 96 eggs
1f602.png
I'm totally addicted!
LoL it is funny and sad, but funny. He actually piggy backs off of hawkeye, grabs our sweet hens while hawkeye has them and is done then jumps on before the hen knows it. This only works sometimes. We are trying to find him a home where he can have his own hens. He is getting a little aggressive with me. Not with the hen or even with Hawkeye. But I think he has some pent up angst going on and needs his own flock.

Also, when I open the lid to add more water, all the humidity escapes! Is there any way to avoid that?
I have an LG I use as an overflow. To add water, get some tubing - I use my fishtank air pump tubes and I use a very large baster. I scoop up some water, and put the tip of the now full baster, in the air tube and place the tube through the ventilation hole on the incubator. Direct the water toward the sponge. I place the tube where I want it, then squirt in the water.

I have also used a plastic medicine syringe on the tubing, but that was too much work.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom