March 2017! Hatch with us!

I think it was on the chicken chick site... But I can't remember what article it was, something about too much of a good thing, I'll keep looking. I did find this regarding electrolytes: https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...-give-my-shipped-chicks-vitamins-and-H70.aspx It recommends giving only plain water unless obviously distressed.... Edit: Oops, I've been doing it wrong- the sav-a chick website recommends discarding unused water after 48 hours... I can't find the 3 day guideline! Maybe it's something I made up in my head or read on a bottle. What I have found is that people usually don't give for more than a week.
Could you please tell me where you found 3 day maximum. I haven't been able to find that anywhere.

Last edited:
I'm so excited my broodies have hatched 3 out of 6 eggs today but I did lose 1 to an inexperienced mama. They were supposed to be born tomorrow but that's ok. And I am in amazement as to how I can hear them peeping in the eggs. I set 2 eggs that I had in the refrigerator under them and one was not good and the other is one that's peeping in the egg. I will post pics when they all hatch.

I think it was on the chicken chick site... But I can't remember what article it was, something about too much of a good thing, I'll keep looking. I did find this regarding electrolytes: https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...-give-my-shipped-chicks-vitamins-and-H70.aspx It recommends giving only plain water unless obviously distressed.... Edit: Oops, I've been doing it wrong- the sav-a chick website recommends discarding unused water after 48 hours... I can't find the 3 day guideline! Maybe it's something I made up in my head or read on a bottle. What I have found is that people usually don't give for more than a week.

Thanks. The chicken chick has some decent stuff, but I'm not a big fan :oops:
I did find that the homemade versions caution because of the salt content, but the package stuff, eh... Lol

And I didn't mean to be rude about it. Just so much "don't do this or that" info, I have become skeptical of so much. So I hope you didn't take offense to my questioning.

On a good note - I have my first lav orp pip of the year! :yesss: (not the egg that I saw internally pipped last night though)

I'm so excited my broodies have hatched 3 out of 6 eggs today but I did lose 1 to an inexperienced mama. They were supposed to be born tomorrow but that's ok. And I am in amazement as to how I can hear them peeping in the eggs. I set 2 eggs that I had in the refrigerator under them and one was not good and the other is one that's peeping in the egg. I will post pics when they all hatch.

:clap :jumpy Congratulations!!! That is fantastic! Yes, please post chick pics when you get the chance!

Thanks. The chicken chick has some decent stuff, but I'm not a big fan
hide.gif

I did find that the homemade versions caution because of the salt content, but the package stuff, eh... Lol

And I didn't mean to be rude about it. Just so much "don't do this or that" info, I have become skeptical of so much. So I hope you didn't take offense to my questioning.

On a good note - I have my first lav orp pip of the year!
yesss.gif
(not the egg that I saw internally pipped last night though)

Me neither! I prefer fresh eggs daily! I didn't take offense... From what I found most people give electrolytes for no more than a week... Since I am doing precautionary, I think 3 days is good. But of course everyone should use their own judgement... There is definitely conflicting info on the subject. Some sites suggest only if needed and others suggest giving electrolytes for extended periods. I think I got electrolytes confused with my probiotics - which are in fact no more than 3 days (then 2 weeks off)... and when I went searching through my med cabinet I found a good quality combo electrolyte/vitamin/probiotic which I will use this hatch... :)

I think I heard sex links dont breed true like the other person said but i think that just means you won't be able to sex them at hatch. They should still be good layers. Especially if the parent breeds are good layers which most of those combos are. So you probably can't sex them at hatch but they should still be good birds :)

I don't know I'm lost on that part going to have to read up it n it

Back
Top Bottom