MARYLAND THREAD!

Lol its ok thank you for the suggestions! I ended up having to get rid of my ducks because they changed the law and a neighbor complained. You can only have poultry now if you have .5 a acre or more unless you apply for a special permit that I was told could be expensive. Honestly the covid 19 is making me want to write the governor and the county execs. With the price of meat going up and growing food insecurity they should revise the laws to make it easier for people to grow their own food. I wish more people in PG county would write in and voice their concerns, all over maryland really.

EDIT:Which trees do you suggest? Which ones make the best bedding? Oh and which get between 8-15 feet tall? We have one ridiculously nosey neighbor that just won't stay out of our yard. So even if we stayed here and got the permit they'd still be an issue. We're moving to St Mary county soon where its completely legal, but my mom wants muscovys so I want to make things nice for her.
If you want them for where you are now, @daisyterp 's suggestion of Leyland Cypress is a good one. They only look nice for about 15 years and do NOT make good bedding. For the new site, look into your generic white pine. They're inexpensive, they grow quickly, are easily pruned and make great bedding for a run. And if you cut them for Holiday greenery ... they smell WONDERFUL in the house!

Cecil County, Maryland - Started Pullets!

Asians1.jpg
Asians4.jpg
Asians6.jpg
Asians3.jpg

I have six Asian Black pullets for sale - about 6 weeks old. We planned on using them for a 4H project, but it doesn't look like our Fair's gonna happen, this summer, so ... if anyone is looking for a ready-made flock, here's your chance. If you'd like, I'll even include a Nankin Bantam rooster. Nannies are critically endangered and really neat little birds. My boys are all well-mannered, so far!

PM for more info & to discuss price (will be VERY reasonable to a good home!) and possible meet-up for delivery - safe social distancing included!

Hi All, New to this forum and to the *idea* (still in planning phase) of raising chicken in my backyard. It's something I've always wanted to do but never had the free time to really look in to it...til the corona shutdown! My 6yo daughter has been asking for a pet so I figure this might be the right time to take the plunge! She loves the idea of a helping to raise a few chickens and I love the idea of fresh eggs in the morning ha.

The research I've done thus far includes:

1. Space makes me think we should get 3-5 bantam breeds since they're smaller
2. In order to check the "pet" box and the "egg producing" box, we're looking for docile and good layer breeds. Silkies?
3. I've checked my county regulations and apparently it's only a space requirement which we meet in our desired area (under our large 2 level deck)
4. It looks like a lot of the internet hatcherys are sold out well until August so that may give us enough time to build out our coop first

Please chime in with any "must-knows". My research will now shift to building a comfy coop for 3-5 little ladies!

Oh wow! I would have loved to adopt some of these ladies but I'm just starting out and don't have coop ready yet. They look beautiful though!

Cecil County, Maryland - Started Pullets!

View attachment 2122799View attachment 2122800View attachment 2122801View attachment 2122803

I have six Asian Black pullets for sale - about 6 weeks old. We planned on using them for a 4H project, but it doesn't look like our Fair's gonna happen, this summer, so ... if anyone is looking for a ready-made flock, here's your chance. If you'd like, I'll even include a Nankin Bantam rooster. Nannies are critically endangered and really neat little birds. My boys are all well-mannered, so far!

PM for more info & to discuss price (will be VERY reasonable to a good home!) and possible meet-up for delivery - safe social distancing included!

Hello everyone! I'm in Frederick (Woodsboro) and I have some 6 week old chicks and some 3 week olds. I'm looking to sell but can't find any sites to sell them on besides Craigslist. Any ideas? I know FB has a WEstern MD barnyard site but most peopel on there are from FAR western MD

Hi I am in Anne Arundell County and currently have 4 chickens. They are 4 weeks old but I think one of my ISA brown is a rooster. It has white feather streaked with brown.

Back
Top Bottom