MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
Lived in Calvert 32 years. Always had chickens, had ducks, geese and have turkeys, too. Neighbors have chickens as well.

YAY I called our local zoning office and apparently keeping chickens, etc is perfectly legal here R-80  YESSSSS! I'm not gonna even try to keep a rooster but at least I know we can keep them without getting in trouble,I was wondering too because we saw so many houses nearby with chicken houses. And wait how does charles county have such a weird law? People have been keeping chickens there for years and theres even a poultry farm there weird.

Just in case we're probably gonna grow some bamboo along our privacy fence so the neighbors can't look over and try to find a reason to complain.

That would be why it might be a good idea to check if you want to live in Charles. It may depend on your cranky neighbors too, but that could be true anywhere, lol.

I've just learned today that my chickens are illegal where I live in pry Port Republic. I'm still keeping my hens and ducks but I will rehome the roosters...

Two doors down the DNR guy has goats, right behind us another guy has chickens. I'm really not too concerned about getting caught seeing as how I'm already surrounded by 'livestock'.

Planning and zoning seemed fairly cool with it on the phone. Seemed like as long as no one complains you're good.

I've just learned today that my chickens are illegal where I live in pry Port Republic. I'm still keeping my hens and ducks but I will rehome the roosters...

Two doors down the DNR guy has goats, right behind us another guy has chickens. I'm really not too concerned about getting caught seeing as how I'm already surrounded by 'livestock'.

Planning and zoning seemed fairly cool with it on the phone. Seemed like as long as no one complains you're good.

Really?? That is horrible. One of my good friends lives in Port Republic and has sheep, goats and chickens. But she owns 5 acres. We looked at 3 acres there but lost it to a bidding war.

You may have a subdivision covenant in Port Republic that prohibits fowl, but not a County restriction.
Only the incorporated city of Chesapeake Beach prohibits fowl in Calvert County.

For Calvert County, the ordinance states 3 acres minimum to keep any type of farm animal, including poultry. Some residential subdivisions may impose further restrictions in their covenants.

So cool to have some local peeps on here!

Do either of you know of any bantam and call LF chicks and call ducklings available locally? I just lost a batch of chicks that I picked up in Western MD. I'd really like to be able to observe them before buying. I realized that my chicks were showing symptoms of being 'off' when I bought them... should've just walked away but we had come so far... hindsight is 20/20 I guess
Sorry the above reply should have been for this post! Oops.

Back
Top Bottom