MARYLAND THREAD!

Does anyone know where I can get some chicks/chickens in Calvert County or surrounding areas?
Thanks!
Do you have something specific you are looking for? Do you want layers or meat birds? Do you want pure breed or are barn yard mixes OK? I can get a lot of things around here, but I need to know what you are hoping to find before I can give good recommendations.

@DCchicken has a fair collection of rare breeds if you want to go that route. However, I can't speak for what he may or may not currently have available.

Fill us in and there are a few people in the area that can probably be of help.

P.S. I'm just across the river from Calvert in southern Prince Georges County.

Do you have something specific you are looking for? Do you want layers or meat birds? Do you want pure breed or are barn yard mixes OK? I can get a lot of things around here, but I need to know what you are hoping to find before I can give good recommendations.

@DCchicken has a fair collection of rare breeds if you want to go that route. However, I can't speak for what he may or may not currently have available.

Fill us in and there are a few people in the area that can probably be of help.

P.S. I'm just across the river from Calvert in southern Prince Georges County.
Thanks for the mention @TurnipTruck. Right now I currently breed Arkansas Blues, Ayam Cemani, Bresse, Barneveleders, Bielefelders, Cream Legbars, English Orpingtons LF (Black, Buff, Cuckoo, Jubilee, Lavender, Lavender Cuckoo, Mottled, Partridge, Red, Silver Laced, and White), Hedemora, Isbars, Kedu, Marsh Daisy, Marans (Birchen), Sulmtalers (Silver Wheaten, Blue Wheaten), and Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hens).

I also have some bantam Chocolate Cuckoo English Orpingtons and some projects (Bresse x Cream Legbar hybrids) that I am growing out. I am actually thinking of slimming down the number of breeds this fall. I highly recommend the Bresse for a good dual purpose breed. Plus they have really come down in price.

Thanks for the mention @TurnipTruck. Right now I currently breed Arkansas Blues, Ayam Cemani, Bresse, Barneveleders, Bielefelders, Cream Legbars, English Orpingtons LF (Black, Buff, Cuckoo, Jubilee, Lavender, Lavender Cuckoo, Mottled, Partridge, Red, Silver Laced, and White), Hedemora, Isbars, Kedu, Marsh Daisy, Marans (Birchen), Sulmtalers (Silver Wheaten, Blue Wheaten), and Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hens).

I also have some bantam Chocolate Cuckoo English Orpingtons and some projects (Bresse x Cream Legbar hybrids) that I am growing out. I am actually thinking of slimming down the number of breeds this fall. I highly recommend the Bresse for a good dual purpose breed. Plus they have really come down in price.

DC Chicken what do you have in stock? Have a website I could look at? I have tried to get some quality BFCM and have had no luck. Ready to cull the entire flock and start with something else. Got anything good at point of lay or maybe hatching soon?

I was wondering, for blue eggs (color, size and number), do you think the Arkansas Blues or Cream Legbars are better?

I was wondering, for blue eggs (color, size and number), do you think the Arkansas Blues or Cream Legbars are better?
The Arkansas Blue eggs are larger and pure blue. Plus I have some that are 13-14 weeks and just started laying. So from a pure blue egg-laying perspective, the Arkansas Blues win hands down. But who knows if their laying capability will slow down like other commercial Leghorns.

The main problem with the Cream Legbars is that they are being bred for appearance, not laying capability. So just like other breeds bred for show, laying capability usually takes a back seat. Cream Legbar eggs are sometimes blue-green and not pure blue like Arkansas Blues. My Cream Legbar are excellent foragers and can out-run our local fox. One of my CL girls has been caught twice and manages to get away every time. The Arkansas Blues won't leave the protection of their yard.

For those that don't know what an Arkansas Blue chicken is, here is a pic of one.

I plan on selling chicks of both at the Maryland Poultry Swap in September.

The Arkansas Blue eggs are larger and pure blue. Plus I have some that are 13-14 weeks and just started laying. So from a pure blue egg-laying perspective, the Arkansas Blues win hands down. But who knows if their laying capability will slow down like other commercial Leghorns.

The main problem with the Cream Legbars is that they are being bred for appearance, not laying capability. So just like other breeds bred for show, laying capability usually takes a back seat. Cream Legbar eggs are sometimes blue-green and not pure blue like Arkansas Blues. My Cream Legbar are excellent foragers and can out-run our local fox. One of my CL girls has been caught twice and manages to get away every time. The Arkansas Blues won't leave the protection of their yard.
Thank you, I value your observations. At what age can the Ark Blues be sexed reliably? That's what I dislike about BBS Ameracaunas, they take so long to sex that I end up putting a lot of feed into cockerels.

Sounds like you need to do something about that fox!

Thank you, I value your observations. At what age can the Ark Blues be sexed reliably? That's what I dislike about BBS Ameracaunas, they take so long to sex that I end up putting a lot of feed into cockerels.

Sounds like you need to do something about that fox!
I am the worst at sexing chickens. I keep meaning to learn to vent sex them. I have the same problem with my Ayam Cemani and Svart Hona. With those breeds the combs and wattles don't turn pink or red. So you have to start looking at the hackle feathers.

I already had one fox trapped and removed. But I need a permit from the state to trap. And they don't continuously grant the permits. You get like one and then they lecture you on free-ranging your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom