MARYLAND THREAD!

That's awesome you can home so many Werm, I don't know what I'd do with 28 chickens though! Do any of you know a reliable source of information on how to find out about local poultry keeping laws? I believe I read something at some point that made it sound like within my city limits you're not supposed to have them at all. But then, that's just how I interpreted it. I can't evening remember what I was looking at when found that information. It got to a point where I was go genuinely confused that I just said to myself if the city didn't want me to have chickens, they should have made the rules more clear. This "city" is located in a 90% rural county anyway and with a city population of less than 3,000 (more when college is in), who really cares anyway. All my neighbors think they're cute and as long as neighbors don't complain about them, I don't even know how the city (or anyone else for that matter) would know I have chickens.
It really varies from city to city. Even the county laws can be hard to understand. For example, I live in Upper Marlboro. Every one of my neighbors owns five acres or more and owns horses, cows, chickens, goats, or pigs. But then bordering my neighborhood are homes selling for millions. The million dollar homes can't have chickens but every single house on my block has the ok since the properties are 5 acres or more.

Basically if you have enough acreage, no one is going to say anything. If you live on less than an acre, most likely someone is going to say something.

Quote:
Gotcha. The thing that keeps me confused though is that the area I'm in is considered rural (Allegany and Garrett County = Middle of Nowhere Mountains), but they still have towns they call cities (I'm from Annapolis, and have been to Baltimore and DC countless times, I know what a city is and this is no city XD). I've come to the conclusion that even in the "city" where I currently am, no one seems to care. I'm sure that'd be a little different if I had a rooster, but the two hens I have go unnoticed by almost all and the couple neighbors I have either don't care or love them. I'm excited to have just placed an offer on a house in a very rural area with just over an acre where I know my chickens will definitely be allowed, and I'll be able to expand the flock (when we went to look at the house this past week, a whole flock of RIR hens and their rooster just ran excitedly up to me, and I realized my would-be next door neighbor has a huge flock and coop of their own!)

Gotcha. The thing that keeps me confused though is that the area I'm in is considered rural (Allegany and Garrett County = Middle of Nowhere Mountains), but they still have towns they call cities (I'm from Annapolis, and have been to Baltimore and DC countless times, I know what a city is and this is no city XD). I've come to the conclusion that even in the "city" where I currently am, no one seems to care. I'm sure that'd be a little different if I had a rooster, but the two hens I have go unnoticed by almost all and the couple neighbors I have either don't care or love them. I'm excited to have just placed an offer on a house in a very rural area with just over an acre where I know my chickens will definitely be allowed, and I'll be able to expand the flock (when we went to look at the house this past week, a whole flock of RIR hens and their rooster just ran excitedly up to me, and I realized my would-be next door neighbor has a huge flock and coop of their own!)
I know Garrett County. I go fishing up there all the time. I can't imagine anyone up there complaining about livestock. But Maryland is odd. Like I said, I am a 5 minute drive to the nearest Metro stop and everyone around me has some kind of animal or another. But cross over the D.C. border and the only things alive are the rats (and I am not talking about the politicians).

Hey! Any of my gorgeous people on the Eastern Shore of MD getting rid of coops or runs? This spring my family is going to being raising chicks. We are on a large farm, but are looking to only occupy 2.5 acres. We will be looking for local birds as well. Just throwing it out there. March will be here before we know it.

Hello again. I want to mention that my seven-year-old son also wants some chicks of his own to raise. He is looking to buy Legbar and Favacauna chicks or hatching eggs in February. We are looking around the Eastern Shore of MD, DE, and VA.

Hello again. I want to mention that my seven-year-old son also wants some chicks of his own to raise. He is looking to buy Legbar and Favacauna chicks or hatching eggs in February. We are looking around the Eastern Shore of MD, DE, and VA.

Depending upon what you are looking for I have one of the largest collection of rare breeds in Maryland (15 breeds at last count). I an in Upper Marlboro. Just let me know when you are ready in the Spring.

Hello. I am a new kid. I am a 4Her in Worcester County MD. Snow Hill exactly. I will be raising my first flock of Ameraucanas, a Dark Brahma, and a Golden Polish. I really want a Cream Legbar, but I have not found one.

Hello. I am a new kid. I am a 4Her in Worcester County MD. Snow Hill exactly. I will be raising my first flock of Ameraucanas, a Dark Brahma, and a Golden Polish. I really want a Cream Legbar, but I have not found one.
I will have lots of Cream Legbar pullets for sale at the Spring Maryland Poultry Swap. I think you may find that it is really late in the year to find pullets or chicks for most breeds. The temperature is just to cold to properly raise baby chicks.

Back
Top Bottom