Methuselah prolapse

paperdragonfarm

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Albany
Our chickens generally die of old age around here, unless they are suffering or have bad luck. For the most part they die in their sleep, we've had a few old birds pass away over the summer this way. Most of my flock is geriatric at this point the oldest coming in around 10 years. There is one sweet old thing who happened to fall victim to my attempts at progress.
I set up an auto feeder/waterer system that looked as if they were using it just fine. The food is emptying and I see them using the waterer. Well I took every one out for their monthly physical and found every one in the new coop was dehydrated and undernourished. So much so, one of the hens had an egg break while she was laying it and had a resulting prolapse. It looks like it happened right in my hands, but I can't be sure if it's been going on for a while or not.
I gave her a ten minute bath in warm water Epsom salts and it looks like it's pushed itself back in. I went to get the honey and some gloves and she was fine by the time I got back. I'll be keeping her isolated for a few days so I can keep an eye on her. My question is, how do I feed her? She needs reduced feed to help with the prolapse but I'd like to beef her back up as well.

Thanks,
Kitty

first the prolaspe needs to heal up then you can beef her up a bit can you keep her separated from a few days/ a week or so. Do you have multiple feeding /watering areas? can help a lower oredr hen get some feed while in the coop with the others

It's a very small run and there is only her and two others in it. I'm thinking it might be a pressure issue with the nipples. I'm working on it over in Feeding and Watering. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom