Metronidazole doseage..

Nope. Not quite. I originally found this method in an Avian Vet book for aspirin. It also works for meds in capsule or pill form that dissolve thoroughly. I have since found that pills work best if I can cut them properly. I toss them down their throat. It doesn't taste bad, so they're more cooperative. Anyway...

I was mixing some doxycycline to give to a bird with suspected salpingitis and realized that when I emptied the powder in the water, it increased the volume. Mixed a packet of powder with 1/2 ml H2O and the volume increased. Slurped it all out with a syringe and found that it was 8 ml. I needed 1/2 a packet, so I gave 4 ml. Usually I just measure out a 1/2 packet (3/8 tsp) and mix it with a bit of water and soak bread cubes in it.
However, regarding metronidazole...
I have a hen with mucousy diarrhea, and I have Giardia in our run from an earlier infection. I gave her fenbendazole (Safeguard) whick works great for that. It didn't work for this girl. I tried Valbazen. Nothing. I decided to try metronidazole which also works for Giardia, so I got to test this method for that med. Measured 1 ml, added 1/4 tsp......yep, it increased the volume. Tried to slurp it out to measure and it's nearly impossible. It doesn't dissolve in the water and forms a sludge at the bottom of the container. It doesn't stay suspended long enough even to slurp it out in small bits. Tried warming it. Nothing. Thought about mixing it in food and dividing the food into portions. Thought to taste it. UGHHHHHH! No way they would eat it. I did that an hour ago and I can still taste the bitterness! Fish must not have taste sensors or they like really bitter things.

I think I'm just going to order metronidazole tablets and cut them up. It will be good to have on hand.
If you want to make your own oral suspension you should buy a suspension syrup like "ORA-Blend"

If you want to make your own oral suspension you should buy a suspension syrup like "ORA-Blend"

!!!! THANKS !!!! Very expensive, though. Do you think corn syrup or honey would work? Actually, I'll try that now. I hope the sweetener will make the bitterness at least a little tolerable.

It worked! Taste was a little bit better. It was sweet before the bitterness hit. Stuff still settled (must be very heavy), but slowly enough to measure and get a dose.

Back
Top Bottom