Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Lynn - are you getting eggs from your RIR yet? You mentioned you thought she stopped laying. Is she hiding them?
Also, did you get hit with the rain today? We got a ton overnight!

Is this normal? This chick is 5 weeks old and only has a few feathers.

Last edited:
I received her in my 15 Brown Egg Layer assortment (+1 meal maker) from Meyer Hatchery. I received 4 black chicks. Someone suggested this one might be a Jersey Giant since she is feathering in so much slower than the rest (really all of the other 15 are mostly feathered, with a few that have a little bit of fuzz left, but nothing like this). I have a buff laced brahma and a gold laced brahma that I hatched 2 weeks ago that have more feathers than this black chick. I guess my question is, is there a condition/illness that would cause a chick to not make feathers, and at what age should I become worried if she still does not have any feathers?

Quote:

My barn comes tomorrow!! I'm so excited!

Poohb I'm glad you got 2 frizzles instead of 1, mine def is a frizzle so all I need now is him to be a roo cause I just added 2 girlfriends for him in my 9/30 order. Is that your silkie roo In your pic? He looks like my nugget!

Poohb I'm glad you got 2 frizzles instead of 1, mine def is a frizzle so all I need now is him to be a roo cause I just added 2 girlfriends for him in my 9/30 order. Is that your silkie roo In your pic? He looks like my nugget!

Yes that's my rooster. I'm hoping for at least one of these frizzles to be a hen so I can try to get some sizzles!

Frizzle update. I think 2/3 may be frizzled instead of the 1/3 that I initially thought. Aren't they cute!!
YES!! Very cute. I hope you're right!!!

I hate how down everyone is on hatchery birds. These are just my pets, I don't show them and I think they are great. Even if they might not be perfect.
Well, obviously we never are down on hatchery birds so just stick around here
wink.png

WooHoo... hope you can post pics!!

I received her in my 15 Brown Egg Layer assortment (+1 meal maker) from Meyer Hatchery. I received 4 black chicks. Someone suggested this one might be a Jersey Giant since she is feathering in so much slower than the rest (really all of the other 15 are mostly feathered, with a few that have a little bit of fuzz left, but nothing like this). I have a buff laced brahma and a gold laced brahma that I hatched 2 weeks ago that have more feathers than this black chick. I guess my question is, is there a condition/illness that would cause a chick to not make feathers, and at what age should I become worried if she still does not have any feathers?
I'm pretty new to chickens so I really don't know a lot but I've never seen one feather out that slowly. Just going by pics I see on BYC though.
My CW was pretty slow to feather, I think, because she was a bit sickly when she was little. She eventually caught up and is laying eggs even before my BA's! Maybe post the pic and story in "Raising Baby Chicks" or the diseases section. Sorry I can't be more help.
One other thing, if you called Meyer and told them the dilemma maybe they could tell you the breeds? Perhaps they record the breeds they sent you so you could narrow it down. Not sure how that would help but just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom