Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Okay, I've been looking at photos of blue laced red wyandotte chicks on various websites and I'm starting to wonder if Meyer sent me the wrong breed!! Mine seems way darker than any photo I've seen. Can someone help me out and let me know their thoughts on if this a BLRW or if not...what is it?!!!

Okay, I've been looking at photos of blue laced red wyandotte chicks on various websites and I'm starting to wonder if Meyer sent me the wrong breed!! Mine seems way darker than any photo I've seen. Can someone help me out and let me know their thoughts on if this a BLRW or if not...what is it?!!!

I'll quote myself to say that after googling BLRW chicks and looking at other people's photos, I'm not concerned anymore. My chick just looks different than the ones on Meyer's website. Phew!

Yeah, I was about to say the people I bought mine off of had chicks that were light and dark. My first time having them too so I didn't know which to pick. Went with the one with the prettiest markings :)

My daughter has an Easter Egger named Eleanor because she looked like a chipmunk when she arrived, my son has a Dominique named Bobbie, and my husband has what we believe is a Barred Rock named #4, or Eggnes as I call her. They will all snuggle forever and fall asleep on our chests.
I LOVE that!!! #4
lau.gif

Thanks, ours are 11 weeks :) Funny you said bunny, she reminds me of one especially when she hops at her sisters. Pretty sure she's at the bottom of the pecking order, not that I think we have a very strong one yet, but lately she seems to be testing her place everyday and where it seemed aggressive when our Buckeye did it, with her it's kinda adorable and silly, it's like what are you doing Baby?

My husband and son were gone all weekend in Indiana for my mother-in-law's birthday and he helped rebuild their shack of a coop, built a new roof, added ventilation, a new nest box and a perch (which they never had!). I think that's great he could be with his mom and help her poor chickens, but I was very tempted to hire our next door neighbor the carpenter to finish our coop. This Friday is his birthday and he's got a few extra days off but I don't know if he's going to want to work on it, but really we need to, the next Friday is my dad's 70th birthday and everyone is going to be in town and the weekend after is our son's 5th birthday. I do have them outside all day, except half of yesterday when we had thunderstorms and I ran out in the quickly pouring rain to grab them all, I had the last one, Clara, who started following me then froze, I scooped her up just as a huge crash of thunder and lightening came at once and shook the yard, my son screamed from the porch but we were inside in a second.
That must be so frustrating. Having to bring them in and out every day and hearing your MIL's coop getting redone. Have you suggested hiring the next door neighbor to your husband to see what he says to that? I really wish I could build. I should have helped my DH in all the projects he's done around here then I could do little projects myself.

My new order from Meyer Hatchery arrived today! I'll get better pics once they're more settled, but here's a peak at what we are adding to our flock.

Salmon Faverolle

Buff Orpington

Silver Laced Wyandotte

Silver Laced Polish

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte

Olive Egger

I'll have to get a better picture of the olive egger where her colors are more visible. She was the once I was most curious to see since they are new this year and so I haven't seen what others have been looking like. She's got feathered legs from her maran heritage, but she's also got some brown coloration around her beak that my black copper maran from Meyer definitely didn't have. Can't wait to see how she turns out!
OMG... why are chicks so stinkin' cute???? Glad your BLRW is a BLRW! I can't wait to see what your OE looks like too. I am keeping an eye out to switch my EE to an OE if one comes available for Sept!!

Well, all of my planning & worrying was for nothing!!!

I just logged on and there was a very limited quantity of BLRW females!!! WOOHOO!!! We snagged one!!!

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I think if (ok, when) we increase the flock, I will add a BA and a BO to the list! But I'm going to either have to get a lot that is bigger than 1/2 an acre, or just move to the country!
That's awesome!!!!! You've got some great breeds! All that hard work paid off!!
Do you have any pics of your Silkies??? Even though they're not Meyer we can still show off our other birds... IMO. I'd love to see them :)

Well, all of my planning & worrying was for nothing!!!

I just logged on and there was a very limited quantity of BLRW females!!! WOOHOO!!! We snagged one!!!

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I think if (ok, when) we increase the flock, I will add a BA and a BO to the list! But I'm going to either have to get a lot that is bigger than 1/2 an acre, or just move to the country!
Olive Eggers are available for your week too!!

Last edited:
I lost my dear Hazel last night :,( The coop will be so much quieter without her constant chitter chatter. I'm down to one red sex link hen (I got mine from Mt Healthy so I'm not sure if that's a factor or not) but I must say I don't think I will be getting any more of them in the future. They have darling personalities and they are laying machines (I've gotten darn near an egg a day from them while they are around) but they just seem to burn out so quick :,( plus I seem to have trouble with soft, shell-less, malformed eggs from them - my other girls never seem to have trouble. I think their breeding just makes them lay more eggs than their little bodies can handle. Like I said, mine were from Mt Healthy but from the research I've done it seems to be a common red sex link problem. My dad did a post-mortem (he's a vet) on her and only abnormality he found on her was a deteriorated liver. We're sending off a sample to see if they find anything, but he isn't sure they will. We had tried to treat her yesterday but she just went so fast... Guess maybe her time with me was just meant to be short. Like my DH said- she had about the best life a chicken could've wished for. I'm still heartbroken.
Sorry for the sad post, I just felt like you all would understand more than the non-chicken loving people I know.
I'd like to end on a happier note, my CCL's big girl tail feathers came in this week. Now their tails look about 2 sizes too big for their bodies

I'm so happy the little girls and the big girls seem to be getting along now, and I've noticed the two groups seem to be intermixing more and more and they graze around. I took down the babies hide away pen (only a big enough entrance the babies to sneak in) and they don't seem to miss it.

Poppy was attempting to be a weather vane this morning on the old playhouse

I lost my dear Hazel last night :,( The coop will be so much quieter without her constant chitter chatter. I'm down to one red sex link hen (I got mine from Mt Healthy so I'm not sure if that's a factor or not) but I must say I don't think I will be getting any more of them in the future. They have darling personalities and they are laying machines (I've gotten darn near an egg a day from them while they are around) but they just seem to burn out so quick :,( plus I seem to have trouble with soft, shell-less, malformed eggs from them - my other girls never seem to have trouble. I think their breeding just makes them lay more eggs than their little bodies can handle. Like I said, mine were from Mt Healthy but from the research I've done it seems to be a common red sex link problem. My dad did a post-mortem (he's a vet) on her and only abnormality he found on her was a deteriorated liver. We're sending off a sample to see if they find anything, but he isn't sure they will. We had tried to treat her yesterday but she just went so fast... Guess maybe her time with me was just meant to be short. Like my DH said- she had about the best life a chicken could've wished for. I'm still heartbroken.
Sorry for the sad post, I just felt like you all would understand more than the non-chicken loving people I know.
I'd like to end on a happier note, my CCL's big girl tail feathers came in this week. Now their tails look about 2 sizes too big for their bodies

I'm so happy the little girls and the big girls seem to be getting along now, and I've noticed the two groups seem to be intermixing more and more and they graze around. I took down the babies hide away pen (only a big enough entrance the babies to sneak in) and they don't seem to miss it.

So, sorry about Hazel! Love your weathervane! Poppy is adorable! I don't think CCL will ever stop amusing me. They are so cute!!

Sorry to hear about Hazel. It is definitely difficult losing a chicken. Most people don't get it. But it is nice that you've got a vet in the family though. Poppy is too cute. Those tails are out of control! Perfect for a weathervane too!

Nancy, you asked about egg colors. (Your quote didn't carry over for some reason). My Golden Buffs are not laying, yet, so I can't help you there. But, I thought I'd share a few photos. 3 of my 4 golden buffs look basically like this:

But, Jessica has a beautiful lighter color and laced feathers

I just love her coloring! At 14 1/2 weeks, these girls don't look like they are ready to lay but, "Jed/Jem" has been trying out the nest boxes and is getting redder each day. She is a much darker red than she appears In this photo. Could she lay this early?

Back
Top Bottom