Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Quote:
Thank you Pipd!

I don't know if you remember, but when I was looking around trying to find where I could get some Blue Splash Marans, I saw Frou Frou's picture and wrote to ask you where you got her. I was happy when you said from Meyer, because I knew I could get some Meyer chicks from Agrarian. Maybe Peppermint is related!
wink.png

I started handling all six of the chicks as soon as I got them, but I must say, only the two BSMs took a liking to my hands, always walking over in the brooder and climbing on them. Most of the chicks, when it was time to put them back down, would jump off my hand as quick as they could. But Peppermint and Aggie would just stay on my hand for a while. Now only Peppie actively seeks out getting picked up, and Aggie freaks a little when I do it, but at least she doesn't dodge my hand the way the other four chicks do. I don't know if other types of Marans are so friendly, or if it's something to do with the Splash genes.

Hi, just wantd to post some one week old shots from our Meyer flock hatch. They had a big week, they learned about eating worms and scratching dirt, they started their fermented feed diet, they got straw and a log added to their brooder.

I will post a link to all the new photos when I finish upload them to my profile page. I am working on a heating pad brooder and will be moving the week olds to the small coop by Sunday. It will eliminate the need for a heat lamp in the coop. I will post pics when done.

Thank you Pipd!

I don't know if you remember, but when I was looking around trying to find where I could get some Blue Splash Marans, I saw Frou Frou's picture and wrote to ask you where you got her.  I was happy when you said from Meyer, because I knew I could get some Meyer chicks from Agrarian.  Maybe Peppermint is related!  ;)

I started handling all six of the chicks as soon as I got them, but I must say, only the two BSMs took a liking to my hands, always walking over in the brooder and climbing on them.  Most of the chicks, when it was time to put them back down, would jump off my hand as quick as they could.  But Peppermint and Aggie would just stay on my hand for a while.  Now only Peppie actively seeks out getting picked up, and Aggie freaks a little when I do it, but at least she doesn't dodge my hand the way the other four chicks do.  I don't know if other types of Marans are so friendly, or if it's something to do with the Splash genes.

Yup, yup, I remember! :) Glad you were able to get two little sweeties, even if one is more snuggliable than the other. (Yes, snuggliable is a word. It's totally a word. :oops: )

My black copper Marans (also from Meyer) were just as friendly, if not more so, as chicks. Georgie girl is still a snugglesaurus rex--when she isn't a broodysaurus rex, at least. :rolleyes: I remember Frou-Frou being a bit more reserved as a baby, and she kind of grew into her neediness. You'd never know from how she is now. She's recently decided she needs me all the time and just wants me to sit with her so she can rest her head on my arm and be snuggled. :love Ah, my girl! Between her and the Dorkings (and to a lesser extent, the barred rocks), there are plenty of cuddles to be had! :D

Hi guys, we have been water logged all week in Colorado and we woke up to snow. We have about 3 inches on the ground, back into the 70's by Mid week, agh spring in the Rockies!

Well since I can't do much outside been working on my heating pad set up for the brooder. Here is my work in progress, I put it into the brooder last night. It was their first night without the heat lamp and also no light since no heat lamp. You have to buy a heating pad that doesn't automatically turn off after two hours.

I started with a tomatoe cage and made some cuts.

The original cut on the cage made my frame too big and too long. So I made more cuts and adjusted. I wrapped chicken wire around it for support as the chicks climb on it just like they would with a mom hen. I then went through all the wire and flattened any shar edges with a pair of pliers.

Here is the gang checking it out, typically you cover the top with straw as well. This were shots of my trial run.

After they all fell sleep napping on top, I transferred them into their warm cave. It was 92 in there and they all stayed for a bit. After that the three smallest in the flock stayed inside while the others were on top.

Last night they did great, by lights out they had all fallen asleep on top, so I turned off the lights and then transferred them into the cave. They stayed all night, some slept in front of the cave, but most slept in. They were quiet until morning and at morning light they were out of the cave and running around in their brooder. This set up is awesome, I decided to go with this set up after I got to thinking about the fact that the chicks never have a "night" per see when they are continually under the heat lamps. Think about it, if they were in the coop with mom they would be going through the night in the dark. Well I know that having that down time is extremely important for growth, rest and regeneration for people, why wouldn't this apply to chicks? In my mind it made totally sense and it affords me a way to rear the chicks more natural, as if they were with mom. This also will allow me to move them into the small coop without the use of a heat lamp, by next week. They will just be two weeks old on Wednesday.

Here is a shot of the small coop, which is where they will go next. There needs some work to it, I need to block of the nest boxes, take the roosts down and reinforce the hardware cloth over the windows. Once I can get that done then we be moving the littles out to the coop for their new brooder. I will post pictures when we move them.

Just wanted to share this information as I was asked about it, as well as I think this whole set up is pretty cool. Check out the thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rooder-picture-heavy-update/570#post_15234859

Nice project COCHix! Pandapaws and kkwinwy I love both of your splash BLRWs, remind me, is one of the them a boy?

I hope you all had a lovely Mother's Day weekend. Our's was nice, went to church with my mom, brunch with the family, Rowan and I took my mom to see Cinderella then I had a late night watching Game of Thrones with the sibs. Was up early this morning and got a lot done. Had to take a short nap this afternoon and I almost never take naps, still exhausted.

I meant to take pictures this morning during free range time but was too busy weeding and retrieving Cornelia from the neighbor's yard. She squeezed through the fence like six times this morning. Snow has done it a few times before but comes right back when she realizes she's separated from Pema who can't fit through, lol. To Cora's credit a few of the times Amelia was closing in on her. Amelia's at the bottom of the pecking order and often pushes the littles out of whatever area they've been scratching up, like her sisters always do to her, I get it.

Still integration is getting better little by little, Baby has stopped going after them, though she did lunge at Cora when I had her on my lap after bringing her back over the fence. Whether it was scolding, jealousy or the fact that Cora was starting to freak out that Baby was getting close, I dunno, probably a combination but she's stopped going out of her way to be mean.

Oh and note the new avatar. Miss Buff in the golden morning light seemed more appropriate than silvery Victoria in the snow.

Nice project COCHix! Pandapaws and kkwinwy I love both of your splash BLRWs, remind me, is one of the them a boy?  

I hope you all had a lovely Mother's Day weekend.  Our's was nice, went to church with my mom, brunch with the family, Rowan and I took my mom to see Cinderella then I had a late night watching Game of Thrones with the sibs.  Was up early this morning and got a lot done.  Had to take a short nap this afternoon and I almost never take naps, still exhausted.

I meant to take pictures this morning during free range time but was too busy weeding and retrieving Cornelia from the neighbor's yard.  She squeezed through the fence like six times this morning. Snow has done it a few times before but comes right back when she realizes she's separated from Pema who can't fit through, lol.  To Cora's credit a few of the times Amelia was closing in on her.  Amelia's at the bottom of the pecking order and often pushes the littles out of whatever area they've been scratching up, like her sisters always do to her, I get it.  

Still integration is getting better little by little, Baby has stopped going after them, though she did lunge at Cora when I had her on my lap after bringing her back over the fence.  Whether it was scolding, jealousy or the fact that Cora was starting to freak out that Baby was getting close, I dunno, probably a combination but she's stopped going out of her way to be mean.

Oh and note the new avatar.  Miss Buff in the golden morning light seemed more appropriate than silvery Victoria in the snow.

Both of mine are boys but one has no lacings at all. Or doesnt even look blue.

Back
Top Bottom