Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

The goat doe in my avatar picture is confirmed pregnant! I took a two mL blood sample off of her last week for testing, and I just got the results back today! Babies on board! Also, she is negative for two bad diseases, Johne's disease and Caprine arthritis and encephalitis (CAE). So yay! Babies and a healthy goatie!

I saw the sparrows in the arborvitae going nuts. Sure enough, Gary the hawk was hunting. I saw him nab a sparrow and I went out back to check the chickens. They were all safe and sound under the tent coop.

I think the hawk has learned that the chickens are too big to mess with. I'm glad he got a sparrow meal though.

Farmerboy, I think you have the right of it. It is always a good thing to pay for things with cash. However, for a credit rating, you sometimes need to bite the bullet and take a loan. My friend bought his house with a USDA loan. Not to bad of a deal for him either. He has since refinanced to a lower mortgage rate. Anyway, the more you save for something, the less you need to borrow, or not borrow at all. I myself do prefer to pay for everything with cash. My house though... loan.

As for Fox news... come on now! Thay are fair and balanced. HEHEHE

Prayers for Granny. Thanks for telling us Chick...

also, this is just some messed up crap...http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...gles-found-shot-at-washington-state-lake?lite

Idiot killed bald eagles just to do it looks like.

I'm looking for a speckled sussex rooster for the spring or some hatching eggs. I'm in western Michigan. Does anyone have one of these or know someone?

Thanks!

I'm looking for a speckled sussex rooster for the spring or some hatching eggs. I'm in western Michigan. Does anyone have one of these or know someone?

Thanks!
try RIRJen. We got our pair of ss pullets from her and she is a lovely person with lovely birds!
smile.png

What they said.

So can anyone tell me who decided that you can't eat eggs for two weeks after administering Wazine to the egg-laying flock? I am getting very fed up with so many conflicting ideas about what's best or safe. The bottle says don't use it at all for egg-layers. So who determined the two weeks? I understand the corporate liability on the label but still... come on. Do you feed them the eggs for two weeks; don't feed them the eggs for two weeks? Feed them to the dog? I don't have a dog. What about barn cats? In-laws? Can you hatch them?

I've read that you shouldn't de-worm unless you see evidence of worms or the parasites will build up a resistance to the medicines. I also read that they usually don't show evidence of worms and that if your chickens are over 6 months, de-worm them regardless. Also, DE is not a de-wormer but will help prevent them. No, use DE instead of chemical de-wormers. Use garlic instead of chemical de-wormers. Use copper sulfate. Wazine only clears up one type. Follow up with another. Wazine doesn't do squat. So get their poo checked and then decide.

I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!
barnie.gif
How fond are you of your inlaws? Sorry, I couldn't resist. I feed them to my dogs and cats and/or put them out ( in the winter) for coons and possums or anything else that might be hungry (I have an old apple tree out in the middle of a field that I use as a "feed tree". I rotate using safeguard goat wormer and ivermectin pour on. And you forgot mixing cayenne pepper in with your feed.
Has anyone done the ivermectin paste and had it work for external lice?
Sorry, never had a lice problem (yet, knock on wood,ect.), but both in theory and according to what I've read, it should. Let us know your experience, if you try it.
The goat doe in my avatar picture is confirmed pregnant! I took a two mL blood sample off of her last week for testing, and I just got the results back today! Babies on board! Also, she is negative for two bad diseases, Johne's disease and Caprine arthritis and encephalitis (CAE). So yay! Babies and a healthy goatie!
CONGRATULATIONS, Baby Shower soon?

well I darn near froze to death today.

I was out with my poor scared chickens and they were huddled around me with an eye to the sky. The stupid falcon kept flying overhead...and he just wouldnt leave.

I didnt dare leave the chickens...and I tried to stretch the dog kennel sun screen across the area right in front of their coop. Did the best I could. The stupid falcon just kept coming back- even with me out there.

I realize they need to eat, too...however I do not want to be their buffett.

Farmer, you're not alone here... but I'm not going to be banned for speaking my peice or have this thread shut down again so Trefoil... and gang, lets agree that we'll never agree. AGREED?

Granny's problems are a result of having received steroid injections that came from the contaminated lab. Some people contracted meningitis and many died. Others have developed abscesses along their spines. She is the first patient to have one that ruptured externally and that may prove to have been fortuitous. The surgery to remove the cyst went well but the ensuing treatment may prove to be much more difficult. The doctors are now predicting a 10 day hospital stay.

I am very humbled by all of the responses and prayers and I sure tomorrow when Granny is more lucid and I can tll her about the outpouring she will be deeply touched. Thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom