Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

10 hens and 1-3 eggs a day.

I decided to log off byc on face book.... people turn into *** holes on that one for some reason. About this time ever year, people start posting about using heat lamps.. every year people say don't use them and next thing you know someones coop burns up or their birds die because of the exploding bulb. They started calling people stupid and having zero common sense because it was by all their accounts faulting wiring that caused the bulb to burst or break........ um, no, the red heat lamp bulbs are made so cheaply these days they cannot hold up to prolonged heat use.. I don't know how many I went through last spring over my brooder because the bulb would break at the base. I was checking the bulb every day because of it. I also almost had two coop fires once years ago and another a few yrs ago when a bulb shattered and caught the bedding on fire.. I won't use them anymore. So, if you try to warm people it isn't necessary....... they call you stupid......... and then someone posts about a bulb breaking previously. And you get slammed for saying not to use them after that post...........screw em. Would it have made a difference if I posted it tomorrow or day before yesterday?
he.gif
burn it all for all I care.

Last edited:
Were you on the private one? I am to an invite only one and am not super impressed but a lot of people need questions answered so i hold my temper and plug away. I used to go to another f.b. byc but it was public. Seemed friendly at the time.

Only sucky thing is no one there can help answer my questions either. I don't have many things i csn't handle but when i do...i hate feeling helpless.

Roo is looking improved and now his voice isn't hoarse i had to put him back out with the girls. They actually seemed glad to see him and rushed to him. Crossing my fingers it wad the new med and not being indoors since he is back out. If not for being in town.... i kinda liked having him in.

I decided to log off byc on face book.... people turn into *** holes on that one for some reason. burn it all for all I care.
Were you on the private one? I am to an invite only one and am not super impressed but a lot of people need questions answered so i hold my temper and plug away. I used to go to another f.b. byc but it was public. Seemed friendly at the time.
I go there. On FB I can use the words that George Carlin identified that can't be used here on BYC. And sometimes I am that person that Silly mentions. That is just who I am at times.
big_smile.png

For the most part, I agree with Fuzzy. I too, will plug away and try to answer to the best of my ability. What I can answer, I will. And what I can't, I'll do my best to come up with a sound, fact-based response. If I can't provide a valid answer, I won't.

We seem to go through this every time the seasons change and heart-felt responses are sometimes dis-regarded. Some fact-based questions and answers can become contentious as opinions vary. We saw this original thread shut down over something that was very similar and caused hard feelings.

Keep in mind that this particular thread is a "social" forum much the same as an open conversation around the pickle barrel in the General Store that Sam Drucker runs. Our conversations run the gamut from political opinions to personal milestones. What we have in common began with chickens and has grown into friendships that cross the state.

I will continue to engage and I hope that y'all do as well.

I have too many chickens! They range from 3yrs old to hatched this year. Many different breeds too. Oddly, knock on wood, the hawks haven't been stalking my birds this fall.
Yes the ol heat lamp talk will pop up now. After last winter I know for sure they don't need heat lamps. I didn't lose any birds all winter. The frost bit combs were minor really. I didn't put anything on those either. Chickens truly are hardier than we give them credit for! If I had heated the coop, I would've lost many when my power went out for a week.

We've had no eggs for 2.5 weeks from our 5 hens. Today I dosed them all with ivermectin just in case parasites are causing a halt in eggs. They look healthy, are acting normal... we'll see. *If* that's the cause, does anyone have an idea of when we might see an egg again? A few days? Weeks?

This just came to me via social media.After a phone call about it.
http://www.roundsquareart.com/Green/

I read about it........ people can choose how they handle a situation like that. and they chose to handle it in the most heartless, cruel and most unprofessional way possible. We don't know all the details on this but it's disgusting how that person choose to handle it.

I hope they file a complaint against her. No mention of a warrant... I believe it is illegal for them to seize property like that... disgusting.

Only sucky thing is no one there can help answer my questions either. I don't have many things i csn't handle but when i do...i hate feeling helpless.

Roo is looking improved and now his voice isn't hoarse i had to put him back out with the girls. They actually seemed glad to see him and rushed to him. Crossing my fingers it wad the new med and not being indoors since he is back out. If not for being in town.... i kinda liked having him in.

yeah I think it was the private one........... I see that they deleted the post now. .. I'm often too direct when I state my opinions and thoughts. But, I honestly hope that the people that were so critical and calling people names get to eat their words some day.... by the mouthful.

We've had no eggs for 2.5 weeks from our 5 hens. Today I dosed them all with ivermectin just in case parasites are causing a halt in eggs. They look healthy, are acting normal... we'll see. *If* that's the cause, does anyone have an idea of when we might see an egg again? A few days? Weeks?
Did you have a reason to suspect parasites?
How old are your hens? What breed are they? Not every breed lays daily.
There are several variables that may be in play.

Back
Top Bottom