Mille Cochin Info

Can anyone tell me what kind of chicken I have? When my friend gave her to me she told me she was a cochin. My "cochin" chicken doesn't look like any of the cochin chicken pictures I've seen. In fact, I don't think I've seen any chickens at all that look like my baby. Can anyone tell me what kind of chicken I have?

She is a Large Fowl Cochin. Buff Columbian looks like one I had from Papa's Poultry, do not have her any more and she was darker red than yours.

Anyone in Illinois, Indiana, NW Ohio and Southern Michigan have birds, chicks and/or eggs available next month? I will be traveling thru there then.

Last edited:
Anyone in Illinois, Indiana, NW Ohio and Southern Michigan have birds, chicks and/or eggs available next month? I will be traveling thru there then.

Sounds like you're traveling on the Northern parts but just in case I live in Central IN, about 35 miles south of Indianapolis. Depending on the days you'd be through I should have some eggs. I set my first batch last night, testing fertility and then have an order placed. I will be out of town 3/24-4/1 also.

If it works for you just send me a PM and we can work out the details. I can send pics then too.

There aren't any Mille Fleur LF Cochin. Some people have tried to work on them but it takes specific varieties to get started and those are hard enough to find. Orpington in this related pattern are called Jubilee and there are breeders of those out there but they are pricey and in demand. Try Speckled Sussex for a nice variety of egg layer and backyard beauty in LF. Hatcheries will have those and breeders are easier to find.

I've been reading this thread, from the beginning, for about a week now. I'm only on page 249 today. HAHA!! But I can actually join the ranks of you MFC people now. I just picked up these two girls yesterday. They are so sweet and tiny! Hatched first week of February this year, so 6 months old now.

I would LOVE your opinions on them, good or bad. I don't get offended, I honestly want to learn.

Their combs are very different from one another's. They share the same sire but came from different hens. I'll try to get some better pics showing that this week, just trying to let them settle in some before disturbing them too much.

#1 I was told this one is Calico. But in reading here I thought calico is tri-colored. ??
8-12-17 on the way home.jpg

8-12-17 on the way home3 edited.jpg

Sired by this guy:
Cockerel.jpg

Mille Fleur came from this hen. I can kind of see the same back shape here.
image-2017-08-06-15-00-42 Edit 1.jpg

And the calico came from this hen:
image-2017-08-06-15-00-42 Edit 2.jpg

None of the parent birds are mine. These are just the pictures the breeder sent me.

I hope to get some more MFCs from a couple of you later this year or next, if possible. Need to get things in order and make a little more room before I can bring in any more.

Last edited:
@WestKnollAmy in looking back on your MFC website page, I feel like my darker girl looks a lot like one you said didn't fit into your breeding program but had good coloring ---> same back shape. Are my two and their parents not typey enough? They seem like they have longer necks, but my two are really wide and round overall when I look at them from different angles.

If they are any bit of a decent start then I'll see if I can find a roo for them. If not then I suppose I have some lovely yard candy. They sure are sweet cuddlers.

Back
Top Bottom