Mille Cochin Info

Does this look split wing to you? This is an 18 month old hen. Gorgeous except for this so I can't breed her.
sad.png

9332_split_wing_n_wht_hen.jpg

How about this? This is a 7 month old pullet, MF/Mottled. I notice the more Mottled they are the less likely they are to have a split wing or two. My more MF colored birds have come up with some and I culled those and hopefully the culprits producing it. Time will tell.

9332_split_wing_not_in_this_one_mf-mot.jpg

It is not easy to hold a hen down and pull out her wing while trying to focus the camera, too. But I am not a photographer.
roll.png

Quote:
Why you got to go and do that?? I am now drooling over the second photo from the top. Totally adore the color in the third pic and those two boys in photos 5 and 6 are super lovely.
droolin.gif

And I am glad I am not the only one that goes out to take photos and the wind blows their feathers all over so it looks like they have no shape to speak of!

I bet you will have a nice black mottled boy growing up that you can put to those girls. I have been kind of going back and forth trying to put certain colors with others that I think will help but have been surprised a few times. Or else I am tagging with the wrong colors. Which could happen!

Quote:
Some of my birds resemble the first photo that I thought might be split wing. I have a very nice typey Mille/Black Mottled roo I would like to use . He is just going on 5 months and appears to me to be split wing but close to what is shown in the first picture. Should I keep him a bit longer to be sure?

Last edited:
I just wanted to remind all Cochins International members to send in their breeder info for the Breeder Directory. The July deadline stated in the Newsletter has been extended. Please PM or email me if you have any questions. Thanx!

~Gail

Quote:
I am gonna hop in here on this discussion, as this is something I was working on in my Mille's.. (thanks CGG, for pointing me over here!
wink.png
)
let me first point out that I don't have the Mille's anymore -- boohoo
sad.png
-- BUT it is also something I have to watch for in my White's, and am pretty familiar with. The top picture is what i would call a 'weak wing', it isn't really split, but it isn't like the wing in the lower picture either. (I talked at length about this with a judge, as one of my very good white pullets has this type of wing, she is GORGEOUS in every other way except for that dratted weak wing) It's not a DQ, but is definitely a fault .. BUT you can put your hen (or rooster) with a mate that has a nice strong wing and you would probably be ok. It's like in my whites, some of my breeders have a bit of a lighter eye than I am looking for, if they have other very good qualities i am looking for--wide head, nice cushion, feet color etc.. then I make sure their mate has nice dark eyes. Does that make sense?? when your breeders have faults (and most do!) you just have to be careful to put them with a mate that has the opposite of their fault.... And make sure not to breed brother/sister otherwise that locks in the faults. I hope not having been following along on the discussion I haven't jumped in with bad timing ('cause I am super good at that! lol!) and that I am not already telling you stuff you know! Also.. this has been my approach because I have to work with what I have, and don't have a lot of room to keep a lot of breeding pens... For the young hen in the upper picture, I would hang onto her, especially if she has other qualities that you are breeding for, just make sure her roo has excellent excellent wings. Sometimes as they are growing and molting (and first molt happens at about 18 mos), the wings go through some weird feathering.
CGG--how is Solo doing??
big_smile.png

Quote:
hit.gif
I don't know
hit.gif

I don't know what makes that wing different than:
31162_33115_wspec.jpg

Not trying to be a brat - just trying to understand.
hu.gif

Quote:
What is the difference between a weak wing and split wing?

Does the "split" go further up the feather shaft - toward the wing bone? Is there something physical that can be felt - like a twisted bone for example? Is a split wing MISSING the axial feather?

Thank you for entering into this discussion/learning session.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom