MISSOURI ! ! !

I suggest you start with hatching eggs. This will give you two months to build a coop. It also teaches your child the process from start to finish. Chicks are easier, but it only saves you 21 days. Those 21 days you could have a nice coop built. A coop doesn't have to be fancy. It just has to have great air exchange and not drafty. These birds will live in the cold once feathered with no problems. Do lots of homework to make it predator resistant. Beware of heat lamps, they are cheap but will burn your house or coop down if not super careful. 

If you plan to show your birds at all, make sure you are byung Heritage Reds and  not Production reds ( a huge difference) but often sold as the same at some hatcheries, swaps, arm stores, ect.. 

Oof! I dunno about doing eggs just yet. More time yes but also more cost. Right now I have nothing (except coop/run plans). Though I am thinking about getting the first aid stuff together now to give me something to do. ;) wandered into our local orshelns last week and they have all the stuff! Chicks too but thankfully not the ones we want. LOL!

Hi! I'm in Columbia and hoping to start a bantam flock this year. I want EEs and my daughter wants RIRs so maybe we'll have a bit of each.

I'm really feeling impatient to get going but we haven't even started building the coop yet. Sigh! So I'm wandering around BYC, looking at pictures and reading about other's flocks. You know, killing time and living vicariously.
I'm no incubating guru, but I could hatch some mixed bantam EE. I'm in Jeff City. Incubator is busy but in about 3 weeks I could start.

Computer or web page glitching- typing 2 characters at a time & getting kicked out of window.

Contact me if interested in more information

I'm no incubating guru, but I could hatch some mixed bantam EE. I'm in Jeff City. Incubator is busy but in about 3 weeks I could start.

Computer or web page glitching- typing 2 characters at a time & getting kicked out of window.

Contact me if interested in more information
Oooh! That'd be closer than Lebanon. I'll message you. Thanks!

We are in Saint Louis City and have had chickens for about 5 years now.

I'm looking to improve ventilation in my coop and I have a couple questions for you all.

1. Does anyone have an open bottom coop? By that I mean a coop with a wire mesh floor that allows the droppings to fall through to the ground. If so, how does your coop work in the winter?

2. Has anyone used a powered attic vent to improve air circulation? I'm concerned it will be too loud.

3. How far above the roosts are your winter ventilation openings?

And a gratuitous picture of our hens... : )

Thanks for the info!

Andrew
I'd be wary of a wire floor. Large enough of a mesh to allow droppings to fall through may lead to foot problems and rodent intrusion.

I wouldn't worry about the noise of a vent.

I have huge openings at roost height on both east and west walls. I don't adhere to the no draft thing. Chickens can live in trees.

Just wanted to make you aware of a more active Missouri thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/73271/calling-any-one-from-missouri

Are you a member of our meetup group noted in post 384 above?

Excelsior Springs here folks. Glad to see all the flock keepers here. We need to set up an event for our group. Maybe at the state Fair each year. A pic NIC,or swap, maybe a show. Take care, T
Excellent idea.

@ChickenCanoe That is one well ventilated coop!

I am a member of the STL meetup. I had to rejoin under a new name because I lost my password.

Seeing those black chickens with white ears, I think we've actually met. My wife and I took your class at Meramec a few years ago when we were just getting started.

Last edited:
@ChickenCanoe That is one well ventilated coop!

I am a member of the STL meetup. I had to rejoin under a new name because I lost my password.

Seeing those black chickens with white ears, I think we've actually met. My wife and I took your class at Meramec a few years ago when we were just getting started.

You probably do remember those birds because I rave about them at class sometimes.
hide.gif

Did you like the class?
For any interested, the next class is March 25. StLCC continuing ed.

As for the coop, I've lost birds to heat in that miserable summer a few years ago when it stayed above 100 for so many days. But I've never lost a bird to cold even when it got down to -19 F a couple years ago - and with those wide open windows.
Bad air and humidity are the enemy in winter.

I like your idea of a powered roof vent. I think they make a solar version.
It would really help draw out the stale air and ammonia.
My buildings with smaller windows have ridge vents but they are worthless when covered with 6 inches of snow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom