Mites on Peacock

@carriemacf
...Congrats on your new girl!

I'm afraid I couldn't quite understand your post, have you already given her a good place to dust bathe? @zazouse
provides great info here about the baths she provides her peas, I can't quite remember what's in them...wood ash and peat moss? It may be that she hasn't had the opportunity to groom herself properly, because of however she was kept before/at the auction...

Others here have more mite experience than I do, but I'm not aware of mites that look like dirt.

Oh yes she does have a dust bath area she uses daily, there is fine dirt there. I cant explain what it felt like, just like a cruddy flaky type matter under her feathers. It was dark outside so i couldn't take photos, i will try over the weekend to get some photos but it's also going to be hard because she doesn't like to be handled and even though she is penned up right now i don't want to stress her too much. It may ne nothing and i may be over reacting, but when you pay for a peahen you want to make sure you don't have any illness or parasite issues, that just has me nervous. It's also difficult because i have no history on her or the conditions of her previous environment etc.

Still working on the numbers for the paste, but have numbers for the pour-on for those that are like me and like to use medications per the label (yes, I know it's not labeled for poultry, but the dose amount is the same as it is for cattle).

Pour-on ivermectin is .05%, which means there are 5mg per 1ml (5mg/ml) and the recommended dose is .5mg/kg, so that's .1ml per 2.2 pounds. I know many give more, which is probably fine, but this might help someone if they decide to dose a peachick or bantam chicken.

FYI, I think the LD50 (median lethal dose) in mice is ~30mg/kg, so it really is very safe.

-Kathy

Edited to add: If my math is wrong, please correct me!

Hi Kathy,

I am also interested in the numbers for the Ivermectin paste. I'm not sure if my peacock has mites, fleas, or lice.. I was watching him napping and noticed that he had a lot of dandruff/chicken dust stuff on his head. I looked closer, and realized they were moving. They are tiny tiny little white/translucent things. They are so small I can't tell if they are more like worms or bugs. He was just dewormed at the beginning of April.
Liv4Kca.jpg

Last edited:
Can you get up close to your male with either a good cell phone camera or a camera with a macro zoom? I am wondering if your little critters look like this...

You can see the yellowish looking one, but I think there is a smaller, younger one (or perhaps a different species) on the very dark feathers above the upper eyelid. There is quite a bit of magnification in the first photo, and even more in the second... With just my eyeballs, I can barely see them.

I believe these are some form of louse (lice) -- did you see all the stuff we wrote back and forth on the Ivomec pour-on thread? There's lots of info about lice in there. I'm trying to figure out the best way to treat external parasites too
wink.png

Still working on the numbers for the paste, but have numbers for the pour-on for those that are like me and like to use medications per the label (yes, I know it's not labeled for poultry, but the dose amount is the same as it is for cattle).

Pour-on ivermectin is .05%, which means there are 5mg per 1ml (5mg/ml) and the recommended dose is .5mg/kg, so that's .1ml per 2.2 pounds. I know many give more, which is probably fine, but this might help someone if they decide to dose a peachick or bantam chicken.

FYI, I think the LD50 (median lethal dose) in mice is ~30mg/kg, so it really is very safe.

-Kathy

Edited to add: If my math is wrong, please correct me!

Hi Kathy,

I am also interested in the numbers for the Ivermectin paste. I'm not sure if my peacock has mites, fleas, or lice.. I was watching him napping and noticed that he had a lot of dandruff/chicken dust stuff on his head. I looked closer, and realized they were moving. They are tiny tiny little white/translucent things. They are so small I can't tell if they are more like worms or bugs. He was just dewormed at the beginning of April.
Liv4Kca.jpg

Sounds like the eye/ear lice that I see in mine. I just treated one of mine with ~0.3 ml of the ivermectin paste and all lice were gone in 24 hours. It's more that what they are supposed to get, but I think it's pretty safe.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom