Mixed heritage and birds with dubious parentage thread. (mutts)

The one I removed was over 4 inches long. It actually interfered with his walking.
WOW!! I

I would only remove the spurs if the boy was causing troubles or they had a bad attitude and I felt they might be unstable enough to attack me or my family, including my birds.

That said, I would most likely remove the spurs just behind the head and high up on the neck if his behavior was that bad.

That makes sense, Enola.

My roosters are all pretty nice, too. There's only one I would class as "standoffish", and another that walks up and squats next to me to be petted or picked up (he is the oldest and is really just begging for treats). The rest fall somewhere between that spectrum.

But if there were a medical issue, like those overly long ones, it is good to know how to handle that. I think if a rooster was so mean I was concerned about his spur, I would probably just eat him, but I haven't had to deal with that yet. Now, if he was a really expensive rooster... I'd find a nice gourmet recipe...

Here is my mixed mutt Rooster...He was ID'ed by the lady I got him from as a "Sussex crossed with one of the black cross that I have" ...His tail feathers shine a deep green in the light. This photo gives a good view of his massive spurs which he grew just last year! He has SLM at the moment which we are working on.

I read that putting a potato in the microwave then sticking it hot on the spur softens them and they just pop off no worries!
I don't worry about my rooster and his spurs anymore since he is a good boy and has no trouble with them...if that changes, then we shall see...

Here is my mixed mutt Rooster...He was ID'ed by the lady I got him from as a "Sussex crossed with one of the black cross that I have" ...His tail feathers shine a deep green in the light. This photo gives a good view of his massive spurs which he grew just last year! He has SLM at the moment which we are working on.

Nice looking rooster, Amazing how great mutts can look.

Holding him firmly and a tiny twist with the pliers and they pop off too! Really simple!

Something in this makes me think this is a little sadistic......
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom