Molting

is she molting or is her feathers being pulled? I have quit a few that look like this but a few that has all there feathers.

is she molting or is her feathers being pulled? I have quit a few that look like this but a few that has all there feathers.
Looks like feather picking. With molting, the old feathers are pushed out by the new feathers growing in. When the old feathers fall out, you can see all the pin feathers. Your bird has bare skin, not pin feathers. Someone plucked her feathers out.
Increase the protein intake immediately, and make sure that there is plenty of room for everybody.

Okay I have t seen anyone plucking wonder when they could be doing it? Could it be my rooster? Or do other hens do it

Okay I have t seen anyone plucking wonder when they could be doing it? Could it be my rooster? Or do other hens do it

Hens do it too. The lowest girl on the pecking order had that problem last winter. Made her a no-sew saddle and moved the girls to a new larger run (like, 3 times as large). Feathers grew back, and she's been fine. Still bullied, but no bald patch.

I separated my rooster and sprayed Côte blue ( I think that's what it's called) so far so good.

My hens usually have a soft molt at 6 months then another at a year or so. My RIR is a year and 8 months and had a hard molt poor thing was ghetto looking as all but she did just hatch some eggs and stress and hatching eggs do make them molt and since she was broody and hatched eggs I think she waited to do it tell after so that might been why she had so much of feather loss. My roosters been molting slowly for like a month. Mostly downy father's and tail feathers and wing feather here and there but I feed them extra seeds, mealworms and egg whites when they molt and feed my one roo egg white twice a week the rest of the year for a boost in protein. with the extra protein in there diet it's crazy how fast there feathers grow back. My hen was just pin feathers for a week than it seemed like overnight she wasn't bald anymore.

Last edited:
i think mine are going through a molt. they are letting off a lot more feathers than usual...hold on Tiny is bleeding.........
im back sunny is plucking feathers again.
he.gif
hit.gif
Tiny is my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom