Moving long distance with livestock

Canuck88

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
BC
I wasn't sure where to put this thread so forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

We are looking at moving next year (fingers crossed). Without stopping the drive is about 18 hours. We obviously need to stop for gas, food and bathroom breaks.

We are downsizing our animals but still want to bring some of them with us. My horse will come separately as I'm hoping the timing works out and she will be at a trainers while we move, and I can just pay a hauler to bring her out once we are settled.

We would like to make the drive with our heifer calf (jersey x hereford, currently 7 1/2 months), two (possibly three) Nigerian Dwarf goats and 8-10 chickens. I currently have almost 30 chickens, I'm trying really hard to decide who to re-home and who to keep. I know it would probably be easier to move without the chickens but I really love my flock and would like to bring them with me if at all possible.

Any tips on moving them all? Any chance it's possible to bring them all in one trip (two horse trailer). I am thinking that we will take turns driving/sleeping and drive straight through so that we don't have to unload/reload the cow and goats.

If we just took the 2 goats and a couple chickens, do you think that would that be any better?

Edit - We could probably stop overnight in Calgary at a friend's place to break up the driving but wouldn't really have anywhere to let the animals "out"
Yes..Down sizing is good. Goats actually can be good traveling companions like a dog they will pee generally outside and lay down once on the road. Definitely something for you too consider. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom