Muscovy duck Q&A

Pics
I'm assuming they all see it and get the idea because I lock them all in the coop where I keep the nests, but I usually start them off by putting a bunch of golf balls in it-anywhere between 3 and 12. They just keep on laying where they think other birds are laying and the "eggs" are staying safe. You can either collect the real eggs as they lay them to keep them clean and safe, or let them stay in there and slowly take out the golf balls. They will eventually cover them up with feathers, and that's when you should switch out all the balls (provided you want a clutch that big).

They won't nest everywhere, btw. They like dark corners, or quiet, covered nooks in tree tops, and will keep going back there to lay. Mine usually fight over who gets to go broody in the most desirable nest boxes even though I let them free range over my fenced in woods and field acre. Their goal is to "hide" their big eggs so they can hatch them and I usually try to work with that. I also try to provide one more box than bird. I'm not sure if this is the right size based on the label as I've already taken mine off, but this is what the tubs look like, with a hole cut in the narrow side. The box has to be duck sized basically. Dark colors in corners are preferred. They may switch nesting places if they catch you taking eggs, but mine mostly just get really, really huffy and mad at me. They really want those babies. The odd thing is, even my khaki campbell ducks that aren't supposed to be good at laying in the nest boxes and are supposed to drop eggs everywhere usually get them in those nest boxes, so I have to keep pulling out the wrong, younger eggs with a shorter incubation period when they sit incubate-and all throughout the 35-38 days. That's where I need suggestions.

Oh thanks so much! I've been doing some reading on Muscovies and most of what I have read said that if Muscovies have access to tall grasses, weeds, woodland, etc they will purposely make their nests as difficult as possible to find. I have a large plot of land and was envisioning never being able to even find the nests. I don't have an enclosure suitable for full-time living so they will be pastured during the day and only locked up at night. I have a pond (with tons of duck weed and small fish) as well as a stream, woods, cropland, etc... So I'm sure they will be cruising all over the place foraging their hearts out. Great to know that they will nest within their night coop.

Thanks again- I am looking forward to getting my first (mostly) meat Muscovies in the spring and hope to be able to save a breeding group.

Oh thanks so much! I've been doing some reading on Muscovies and most of what I have read said that if Muscovies have access to tall grasses, weeds, woodland, etc they will purposely make their nests as difficult as possible to find. I have a large plot of land and was envisioning never being able to even find the nests. I don't have an enclosure suitable for full-time living so they will be pastured during the day and only locked up at night. I have a pond (with tons of duck weed and small fish) as well as a stream, woods, cropland, etc... So I'm sure they will be cruising all over the place foraging their hearts out. Great to know that they will nest within their night coop.

Thanks again- I am looking forward to getting my first (mostly) meat Muscovies in the spring and hope to be able to save a breeding group.
That sounds awesome. They'll have lots of fun, and their feed consumption should stay nice and low. Just awesome.
Nesting everywhere hasn't been my experience, but who knows? Every one of mine only like the boxes, but birds are individuals.
Btw, if you can't get yours to come back to the coop, putting the feeder inside and a water bucket outside really encourages them to be in the vicinity and available to be herded back in. Then, once they get into their routine, they're good as gold.

I hope you get some awesome, big, friendly muscovy ducks.

That sounds awesome. They'll have lots of fun, and their feed consumption should stay nice and low. Just awesome.
Nesting everywhere hasn't been my experience, but who knows? Every one of mine only like the boxes, but birds are individuals.
Btw, if you can't get yours to come back to the coop, putting the feeder inside and a water bucket outside really encourages them to be in the vicinity and available to be herded back in. Then, once they get into their routine, they're good as gold.

I hope you get some awesome, big, friendly muscovy ducks.

Me too... and thanks!

I am going to order the white Muscovies from Freedom Ranger Hatchery in PA. Speaking of which... if anyone has any experience with their Muscovies and/or would like to split an order this Spring let me know!

Last edited:
Hi,
I have two Muscovies. We now know that one is a drakelet and the other a duck. They are about 4.5 weeks old. I live in a very hot climate. We do get pythons but have kept chooks for years and despite even finding one in the pen once they have never touched our chooks. I think the water rats keep them happy as we back on to a river. We also get crows and have had some problems with egg stealing that we have now sorted. I have a play pen, we are building them a house, and they sleep in a secure cage. I just wanted to know at which age they start to be able to forage unsupervised?

Hi,
I have two Muscovies. We now know that one is a drakelet and the other a duck. They are about 4.5 weeks old. I live in a very hot climate. We do get pythons but have kept chooks for years and despite even finding one in the pen once they have never touched our chooks. I think the water rats keep them happy as we back on to a river. We also get crows and have had some problems with egg stealing that we have now sorted. I have a play pen, we are building them a house, and they sleep in a secure cage. I just wanted to know at which age they start to be able to forage unsupervised?
I'd say once they are around 12 weeks they should be able to free range with the rest of your flock. If you have a river close by and they find it that maybe the last you see them though. @CorrieW

In terms of the males I have found That sometimes even removing the most aggressive males the more passive one could eventually become more aggressive now that he will be the alpha male.
Eggs with cracks you cannot keep they will not lay on them or if they do they will not make Ducklings.
A good indicator of when your ducks are broody is looking at their red on their face... sometimes they will go very pale to let the male ducks know they are ready to mate. So you can always keep an eye out for that. Ducks are pretty smart they will lay when they want to and you can't do anything about it. Generally if they have laid an egg and don't seem interested in it there is a very good chance they will not go back to sit on it .

In terms of the males I have found That sometimes even removing the most aggressive males the more passive one could eventually become more aggressive now that he will be the alpha male.
Eggs with cracks you cannot keep they will not lay on them or if they do they will not make Ducklings.
A good indicator of when your ducks are broody is looking at their red on their face... sometimes they will go very pale to let the male ducks know they are ready to mate. So you can always keep an eye out for that. Ducks are pretty smart they will lay when they want to and you can't do anything about it. Generally if they have laid an egg and don't seem interested in it there is a very good chance they will not go back to sit on it .

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC! Don't forget to go to the member introductions section and introduce yourself.
frow.gif

I'd say once they are around 12 weeks they should be able to free range with the rest of your flock.  If you have a river close by and they find it that maybe the last you see them though. @CorrieW

Thanks, they can't get down to the river easily and if they did it is very shallow the majority of the year and my boys can walk it easy.

Back
Top Bottom