Muscovy duck Q&A

OK new question. My ducks free range during the day and usually go to the coop at night,.then I just shut the door For the last week,. They won't go in the coop at night. 11 pm every night now I'm pushing them in there. Any thoughts as to why? Also if I have one duck laying,. Shouldnt more be. I'm wondering if another duck has a nest outside the coop somewhere

Did anything change in their environment? I have to "encourage" mine to go in at dusk, which is about 8 pm here. I think their preference would be to remain out and roost in the trees, but there are too many predators here for that to work.

You're lucky to have a duck laying...of 3 adult ducks, I am getting exactly zero eggs right now. They're seasonal layers, so I may not see any anytime soon (plus one is broody). It is possible that there may be a hidden nest, but Muscovies really aren't prolific layers in my experience. They have other redeeming qualities.
1f642.png

Other than they separated into 3 groups when they use to be together they have some political crap going on right now, I always thought it was because the group with alpha Drake wouldn't let the rest in coop,. But now even they aren't going in at night. They all use to go in between 7:30 and 9 on their own,. Now I have to push them all in and shut the door. I'd hate to leave them out at night because of the predators,. But am I doing the right thing. Some say to never force them into a coop

And one of my ducks is laying an egg a day,. Since the 1st lay it's now day 4 and 4 eggs. Every morning I get a new egg out of her. But, is she going to sit on them at some point cause in the morning as soon as I open door she's like "screw you eggs,. Mommas gonna go have some fun"

Other than they separated into 3 groups when they use to be together they have some political crap going on right now, I always thought it was because the group with alpha Drake wouldn't let the rest in coop,. But now even they aren't going in at night. They all use to go in between 7:30 and 9 on their own,. Now I have to push them all in and shut the door. I'd hate to leave them out at night because of the predators,. But am I doing the right thing. Some say to never force them into a coop

If the alternative is to have them get eaten by predators, I'd say that forcing them into the coop is the better approach. I'd rather they went in on their own, but I can understand why it's not exactly a draw for them. I think there are ways to make the coop more attractive to them so that they want to go in at night, but mine are ok with being herded in. They're pretty smart - they know when it's time to go in, but that doesn't mean they'll do it.
roll.png

And one of my ducks is laying an egg a day,. Since the 1st lay it's now day 4 and 4 eggs. Every morning I get a new egg out of her. But, is she going to sit on them at some point cause in the morning as soon as I open door she's like "screw you eggs,. Mommas gonna go have some fun"

While Muscovies have a reputation for broodiness, not all of them go broody - I have one duck that has shown no interest at all in brooding. When they get broody, you'll know. Yours may lay a clutch and then sit on them...or she may not. Does she come back to the eggs after she's had a chance to eat and bathe, etc.?

No I wouldn't,. But I would rough it out and make do for the greater good. If I can get them to hatch,. Chances are I will have plentiful eggs come next summer. If I wait till spring,. It will more likely be a year till I'm getting more steady egg flow. Plus allowing the ducks to live out their natural ways and mother some ducklings may just get them to be more comfortable in their new environment here

Back
Top Bottom