Muscovy duck Q&A

Success! He/she hatched three days ago. Thanks for keeping me calm! Lol

Awesome and look at that mama, I know what she is thinking, "Yeah I dare ya".  lol

Congrats, any more hatching?

No. I wish we did, though. She laid nine eggs but only one was good. We had to toss the duds because the whole barn stunk of rotten egg. I made sure to candle before we tossed them, just to be sure.

She's actually ok with us handling him. He fell out of the nest so I picked him up and put him next to her and she didn't do anything. But if we touch her, we risk losing a hand.

Now I need to determine if it's a boy or a girl so we can name the fuzzball. Lol

Last edited:
No. I wish we did, though. She laid nine eggs but only one was good. We had to toss the duds because the whole barn stunk of rotten egg. I made sure to candle before we tossed them, just to be sure.

She's actually ok with us handling him. He fell out of the nest so I picked him up and put him next to her and she didn't do anything. But if we touch her, we risk losing a hand.

Now I need to determine if it's a boy or a girl so we can name the fuzzball. Lol
It's very pretty lil duckling. Might take a while to determine sex though.

Hi I'm hoping for a bit of advise! I have a muscovy duckling that I was told was 4 weeks old but he's huge! I kind of got him sprung upon me so atm he is living in my kitchen and I have never had ducks before! Will he be ok alone or does he need to be with a friend? I keep calling him a he but I have no idea what sex he is! Haha.. any tips would be great thank you.

@LaceyandPoppie Welcome to BYC

Ducks are flock animals so they really do like the company of their own. So getting him a buddy would be a good idea unless you can spend a lot of time with him. If you can post some pics we maybe to help you on sex but usually it's around 6 weeks before gender can really be determined and it makes it easier if you have other ducks to compare but well give it a good shot.
more info https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/other-backyard-fowl-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc.67519/

This is him. He is really lovely so maybe I could get him a friend soon just abit of a struggle atm as I already have 4 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs and 3 silkie chicks so we are a bit stuck for space for somewhere for him to live right now haha! Thank you for replying

Attachments

• 20170530_130604.jpg
    20170530_130604.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom