Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Midlife crisis? Maybe! Perhaps he has taken on the roll of the 4th hen! I don't mind the fun with it,we have our own with it! No he has never had offspring and yes he has had a mate! Veteranarian suggested we keep him away,especially from the one with the prolapsed uterus until she was better! We isolated her and he stayed with the other 2,he has been a mate to the one he came with,he just decided to stray,I guess! LOL As of right now he is back with all 3 hens but seems to be back with his mate(the only one that will sit on a nest)! We have always taken the eggs out as we use them,maybe if I left some in there,they would sit on them. Don't know til I try right? Do I want little ones,yes,does hubby,NO!!!!! Maybe it will be the answer,who knows! In the meantime perhaps I shall try counseling Rocket(drake)!!! lmao!!
lau.gif
Be sure to put a towel over the couch before he lays down for counseling.

Had to swap eggs out on broody - one duckling had just hatched and more were pipped so into the bator to finish up. Some still wet, and last 2 eggs pipped waiting to hatch. Actually got to watch most of them pop out of the egg.
Gosh Eden you have Muscovy planet over in your neck of the woods, what are you going to do with all of them? Adorable + Congrats!!!

That is one full incubator! apparently i need to invest in one of these.. my daughters silkies cannot grow fast enough lol
Like to see how many people are using the scovies as broodys and incubators?
They aren't protective enough for preditors, just aren't quick enough.
How about hatch rates?

Unfortunately, the dang farm cats are making off with too many babies. Farmcats are going off to a new farm.
Had enough!

Usually sell eggs & less hatch but I'm blending 3 sources of birds for freshend blood. Keep 2-3 CHOCOLATES from each of these first hatchings, maybe more from unique colored mama's and let them grow out. Selectively cull this fall.
Some go out as pets, some for different flocks, some as featured dinner guests.

Like to see how many people are using the scovies as broodys and incubators?
They aren't protective enough for preditors, just aren't quick enough.
How about hatch rates?

Unfortunately, the dang farm cats are making off with too many babies. Farmcats are going off to a new farm.
Had enough!

Usually sell eggs & less hatch but I'm blending 3 sources of birds for freshend blood. Keep 2-3 CHOCOLATES from each of these first hatchings, maybe more from unique colored mama's and let them grow out. Selectively cull this fall.
Some go out as pets, some for different flocks, some as featured dinner guests.
I agree about predators, I would have thought mama duck could have put a hurting on that blk snake that grabbed her baby last week, after all my 9yr old was fighting with a 6' one in her stall the same day. I think she would have lost though if I hadn't stepped in to rescue her and her empty nest.
hmm.png
That's too bad about the cats. They need to stick to mice and rats.

Back
Top Bottom