Muscovy keepers share your pics!

https://www.facebook.com/DuckDiaries?ref=tn_tnmn
wee.gif

For all of you Muscovy lovers, the Cuomo Ducks have created a page on FB where you can also share your thoughts.

Up to 3 turtles relocated so far in 2013, 3 were relocated in the witness protection program all of 2012. Please don't tell me this is the year of the snapper...

I have 3 muscovies - a drake and 2 hens. All 3 of them intensely dislike the other ducks (male or female) I have. I am going to be (hopefully) bringing another muscovy hen and up to 18 ducklings home in a few days (if the eggs she's sitting are viable). Are most muscovies snobby toward other types of ducks or are mine just cliquish? I'm a bit worried as to whether or not the male will accept this hen . . .
Put up temp fencing so mama and babies are protected but all can still see each other. leave it like this till ducklings are at least 3-5 weeks old, by then all should be use to each other. My Muscovy's are cliquish, I have 3 clans 3 drakes and their girls. 18 babies, that duck is gonna need some maid service.
ep.gif

Last edited:
Love all the Muscovy pics! Here are some pics of our 5 week old Muscovy ducklings - we are trying to figure out how many are males and how many are females? One is very obvious as he has been monster sized since the get go. ANY help is greatly appreciated!!! :D

Aren't they cute! well, look for the smallest, feet, bodies and so forth...

Going by that i'd say going from the left 3rd a girl, and 5th but hard with pics i can show you some i have handy of my last clutch

Top one is the only girl lol

Last edited:
I have 3 muscovies - a drake and 2 hens. All 3 of them intensely dislike the other ducks (male or female) I have. I am going to be (hopefully) bringing another muscovy hen and up to 18 ducklings home in a few days (if the eggs she's sitting are viable). Are most muscovies snobby toward other types of ducks or are mine just cliquish? I'm a bit worried as to whether or not the male will accept this hen . . .

Well, i hope they aren't lol i have never tried mine with different breeds, i have some buffs in with my preemie 'scovies right now so i hope this gives them an edge into the flock
tongue.png
Now i do see a break down in what the boys have, my one drake dislikes the trio of chocolates i bought last year, they belong to my white drake, the rest seem to waffle about... so while i see a bit of a breakdown not that intense.

ML advice on temp fence and so forth is right on the money! gl with all those babies!!

One of my muscovy hens was attacked by something either late last night or very early this morning. Her head and the back of her neck down to her shoulder area was a bloody mess. I found her sitting in her nesting spot in the chicken coop. She had laid an egg - I'm not sure if she would have been able to lay after she was injured so I'm thinking that whatever got her did so between 5:30 and 6:30 this morning. There is a broody chicken in the coop that has been going after the majority of the ducks and some of the chickens. She goes at them with beak and talons. I don't know if it's possible that it was her that could have done this much damage. I hadn't noticed the blood on the duck right away when I was feeding everyone. She stayed on the nest while the others ate which was unusual. I walked over to check the nest above hers for eggs and she scrambled out. She was holding her head and neck at a weird angle . . . and then I saw the missing feathers and all of the blood. We haven't had a problem with raccoons or skunks this year. Last year most were trapped or shot by the neighbor. Coyotes aren't much of an issue because of my mule and the farmer that owns the majority of the acreage behind me trapping them. There was an old muskrat hole by the pond but it's been abandoned for a long time and I haven't seen any new signs (it's a very small pond).
I now have her covered in Scarlex and Bluecote. She's separated from the flock - I have her in 2 dog crates that I combined. I came home on lunch to check on her and she hadn't eaten, she looked like she was in shock. I couldn't tell if she had drank. When I got home from work tonight she was standing and walking around a bit. She did eat (I fed the rest of the flock near her crates and that seemed to stimulate her to eat). After she finished the duck pellets she started grazing, though a bit half-heartedly. If she makes it through the night, I am going to call the vet tomorrow. I talked to a couple of the employees at the local FF&H who have ducks and they said to do pretty much everything I've already done.

Back
Top Bottom