Muscovy keepers share your pics!

@misslydia,
She had been with me over a month there, her face gone orange in that time and stayed since, and had just started brooding, supposedly being her first clutch. good to know these three females are all really young, not that they are not neat no matter how old. thanks again!

Last edited:

Dory and her little ones.
smile.png

So adorable!

Could someone post some pictures of barred and ripples and explain the difference to me?

-Kathy
run a search for pics of them. they are 2 different patterns. the ripples you can see a page or so back. barred muscovy have yellow duckling down with the only colour being a stripe on the tail, legs and bill. they first lot of feathers is the most striking, they are barred all over the body, subsequent moults usually sees the pattern reduced to the belly and side feathers, it varies in and out of moult. i'm no expert on the rippled gene so i'm unsure if it always covers the whole body.

So saw UPS guy coming up the road and wasn't expecting, hobbled/ambled cane waving on and off, trying to get to him before he went to front of property and dogs got to him first. well what i saw wasn't what i was expecting, as our three dogs got close and waiting to ambush as soon as left driveway, but.. the bachelor scovy drakes got to him first. boy i and lady of house never cried so hard laughing! he made halfway to porch and they just attacked hissing flying up at snapping and clawing. led by my Americana bantams abd egged on by barking dogs (they just all layed there looking as if laughing to oddly) and female scovy. He pulled some kind of baskitball star jump shot and ran screaming like a small girl with spiders in her hair and clothes. can hormones get that bad, or was that a fluke, or just flock mentality and will go down when i geet heart to cull extra drakes? i keep females penned currently as these were getting too mean with them and each other when females were put out (they can fly but after flying out a couple times and having to be saved from being smothered and drowned, they stay in pen now. lol
lady of house now hasn't threatened to cook them since and feeds telling them they are good ducks, asked me if weneed to get them little spiked collars and a sign put up that says:"beware of ducks!", under or replacing current beware of dog sign.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom