Muscovy keepers share your pics!

So you mean the mass of white not the internal white skin that might look like boiled egg without the shell. My egg yesterday which hatched by itself had the white skin unpunctured for a large part with no shell on the outside. That was curious. Crushing and pecking maybe from the outside.

it was a mass of whiten ot just the skin. there was some broken shell as well.

So when does the sex link come in?  As an adult I guess or is that another guess?  Not that you should know just throwing it out there.

Chocolate is always a sex-linked trait. With chocolate, if a female gets one gene for chocolate, she will be chocolate. However, a male needs to get chocolate genes from both his parents; if he only gets one copy of the gene he will just be a carrier of chocolate. So he can pass along his chocolate genes but won't express chocolate himself.

To answer your question about your duck, it's not likely a chocolate gene that is causing the brown on the chest. Functionally, what chocolate does is dilute eumelanin (a pigment); the dilution affects the entire bird. He may be carrying the atypico dusky gene, which causes a bit of brownish/reddish tones on the chest. I have a few like this.

Whoops, just noticed that wasn't actually your duck! That'll teach me to read the thread at night and actually reply the next morning ;)

OK so been a while since I posted sphere are some of the new batch...just hatched this week in my incu.

And here is a little treat I have for u guys...

Chocolate is always a sex-linked trait. With chocolate, if a female gets one gene for chocolate, she will be chocolate. However, a male needs to get chocolate genes from both his parents; if he only gets one copy of the gene he will just be a carrier of chocolate. So he can pass along his chocolate genes but won't express chocolate himself.

To answer your question about your duck, it's not likely a chocolate gene that is causing the brown on the chest. Functionally, what chocolate does is dilute eumelanin (a pigment); the dilution affects the entire bird. He may be carrying the atypico dusky gene, which causes a bit of brownish/reddish tones on the chest. I have a few like this.

Whoops, just noticed that wasn't actually your duck! That'll teach me to read the thread at night and actually reply the next morning
wink.png
No prob. I was the one asking about her duck. Thanks so much for clearing that up. I have sex link chickens and was too lazy to look up what sex link did. great job.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom