Muscovy keepers share your pics!

I'm so excited! I got a new drake the other day! He is solid black with some chocolate leakage on his breast. The lady I got him from says he may be as much as half chocolate. Is there any chance of getting any chocolate babies if I cross him with my black and white hen that carries chocolate? Also, are these ducklings considered barred ? (the two black ones reaching for the squash plant in question):
If your drake carries chocolate when bred to a black female then any visual chocolates will be females. Yes your other birds are barreds, unfortunately they won't keep the pattern after they molt. They will only keep barring under the wings and some on the belly

If your drake carries chocolate when bred to a black female then any visual chocolates will be females. Yes your other birds are barreds, unfortunately they won't keep the pattern after they molt. They will only keep barring under the wings and some on the belly
Thanks. We'll see what I end up with next spring.
big_smile.png
That's what I thought too, but now they are fully grown and have their adult feathers, and they still have the barring. I have no idea where those genetics came from since none of their parents are barred.

Thanks. We'll see what I end up with next spring. :D  That's what I thought too, but now they are fully grown and have their adult feathers, and they still have the barring. I have no idea where those genetics came from since none of their parents are barred.

Barred is a recessive gene so both of their parents must carry the gene. It can stay hidden for several generations and then pop up.

My turn for sex the ducklings - they are just over 3 weeks old in these pics - some this morning and some a few days ago. There are 7 though hard to get pics of them. I have top pictures so you can see size, hopefully feathering and beak, caruncling. (poor ducks I call them carbuncles)
And.... is one of them going to be a blue-eyed duclair ? And one Chocolate/Sepia/Bronze ?

Barred is a recessive gene so both of their parents must carry the gene. It can stay hidden for several generations and then pop up.
Hmm, good to know. That must be the case with my ducks than.

My turn for sex the ducklings - they are just over 3 weeks old in these pics - some this morning and some a few days ago. There are 7 though hard to get pics of them. I have top pictures so you can see size, hopefully feathering and beak, caruncling. (poor ducks I call them carbuncles)
And.... is one of them going to be a blue-eyed duclair ? And one Chocolate/Sepia/Bronze ?

I'm not sure on gender, but those colors are stunning, especially the black ''saddled'' white one.

Thank you very much, they are the sweetest birds, so much fun. Working on potty training... one I could do, seven well. They don't go on me, that is the important thing. I have a sneaky suspicion that one is a boy, but the wings are getting feathers quickly so maybe not.

So I'm trying to start planning for spring. I have my adult trio: black female, blue female, and silver male. And then I have my babies: blue male, two blue females, and three chocolates- at least one male and one female.

What would I get from a silver male and chocolate female?

Also, what color is this boy? (Duck in back of picture) Is it still blue or is it silver? Parents are silver and black.

So I'm trying to start planning for spring. I have my adult trio: black female, blue female, and silver male. And then I have my babies: blue male, two blue females, and three chocolates- at least one male and one female.

What would I get from a silver male and chocolate female?

Also, what color is this boy? (Duck in back of picture) Is it still blue or is it silver? Parents are silver and black.

Silver male and chocolate female will give you blue ducklings.

It's hard to see if the picture--that duck looks silver, but since one parent was black, he can't be. Silver x black =100% blue ducklings.

Unless of course, say, a black mama tucked a blue female's egg up under her and hatched it, but it wasn't her egg.

Last edited:

It's hard to see if the picture--that duck looks silver, but since one parent was black, he can't be. Silver x black =100% blue ducklings.

Unless of course, say, a black mama tucked a blue female's egg up under her and hatched it, but it wasn't her egg.

But keep in mind, females can have offspring from multiple fathers, since eggs fertilize over a period of 18 days, any male that mates with her in a week or so period could be the father of even a single duckling

What kind of pig is that in your avatar? (Yes it's a bit off topic...lol.)

Back
Top Bottom