Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Anyone can tell from the picture if they are boys or girls? They're 3 months old, got them today from someone else
1f60a.png

Looks like white drake with 2 gals. Very pretty!

Well... I have two children and I did not find out the gender with either of them and it was a piece of cake. However, I ordered 10 straight run duckling that are now 5 weeks old and it is DRIVING ME CRAZY! They are all the same size, same size legs and feet, some are getting a little bit more flight feathers than the others but they change so much day to day that its hard to use that as a determining factor. I will look at them from above when they are sitting down and think "oh wow, he is HUGE. That one must be a male!" and then it stands up next to the rest and I think "well, the chest looks more compact than the other ones so its a female!" I do this almost everyday with all ten. I go out and sit for hours and just watch them and I still have NO CLUE who is what. Any ideas?
I'm on my 4th batch this spring and so far it's been really easy to tell almost right at hatch but so far 1 has tricked me, I had a batch of 5 and the obvious drake with what appeared 4 ducks, well then I found myself questioning it because it's tail was longer than the rest. For me if they are close in size the tail should be your giveaway. It's kinda hard with the picks you posted but from what I can see the 1st pic the light colored one with only the tail in the pic looks drake and the other pics I see ducks (girls). The shorter compact tails vs the longer.

Here is a pic of mine when younger, see how the girl on the right and chocolate boy on the left (far left is a barred girl but you can't see the tail). You can see where each of their wings stop and their tail is. That is a big difference in how they look, he had just started to get bigger in body size and a bit taller too.

That is encouraging! Their legs are huge to me (granted this is my first go at ducks) and I was freaking out thinking I had 9 or 10 drakes!
Thank you! I will try to get some better pics this weekend!

That is encouraging! Their legs are huge to me (granted this is my first go at ducks) and I was freaking out thinking I had 9 or 10 drakes!
Thank you! I will try to get some better pics this weekend!

Here is a pic of mine when younger, see how the girl on the right and chocolate boy on the left (far left is a barred girl but you can't see the tail). You can see where each of their wings stop and their tail is. That is a big difference in how they look, he had just started to get bigger in body size and a bit taller too.
Oh wow! ok, maybe soon when they start to feather out a little more I will be able to tell better! Thank you for your help! and your ducks are beautiful!

Thanks Miss Lydia!! They are actually a pretty good price too. I'll probably order ten or so in a few months
-Liv
I would go ahead and call. I ordered mine early May and had to wait about a month to get them. If he knows what you are wanting and when, he can plan accordingly! I was worried about them looking all sickly when they arrived but the instructions he sent with them for feeding and watering were fool proof and worked like a charm. All ten are doing great and growing like weeds!

Does anyone know any hatcheries or breeders that sell solid colored muscovies without the canize (white heads) gene? I'm looking for blues, chocolates, or lilacs. Ducklings or hatching eggs are fine. They would have to either ship or be located in Pennsylvania.

@txcarl1258 I know you said you had some chocolate ripple & chocolate split to ripple hatching eggs you could ship when they started laying again for the season. Do you have any available yet?

Thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom