muscovys' and rare ducks pics

3 weeks ago my son came home with 2 hatchling Muscovys that wandered up to him at our neighborhood lake. No Momma in sight and dropping temps I told him to bring them home. The one was not well from the start and passed away a few days later. However the other is a beast of little duck and turned 3 weeks yesterday. I would love to get opinions on if you think Nibbler is a Boy or Girl. From reading all your posts I'm leaning to boy because the legs look thick to me but I have no comparison. So Experts what to do you think ;) Or is it really still to early to tell. These were both taken last night after some bath time.
i can't tell I usually have a lot to compare so it's easier
Very pretty ducks
thx :D

i can't tell I usually have a lot to compare so it's easier
thx
big_smile.png
Thanks for looking, I'm trying to patiently wait to see, and just watching in wonder how fast this little duck has grown in 3 weeks! When my son brought it home it was so so small. Nibbler zeros in on our dogs and will try and chase them if they come in the room LOL needless to say our dogs are quickly not wanting to have anything to do with a duck LOL

Jan 6 - the first night - Not sure which one is Nibbler now

Jan 9 - Nibbler is the bigger one, the other one just never even grew :(

3 weeks ago my son came home with 2 hatchling Muscovys that wandered up to him at our neighborhood lake. No Momma in sight and dropping temps I told him to bring them home. The one was not well from the start and passed away a few days later. However the other is a beast of little duck and turned 3 weeks yesterday.

I would love to get opinions on if you think Nibbler is a Boy or Girl. From reading all your posts I'm leaning to boy because the legs look thick to me but I have no comparison. So Experts what to do you think ;) Or is it really still to early to tell.

These were both taken last night after some bath time.

Very sorry the one little didn't make it, at this stage it can go either way but shortness of body now looks like female, they are so precious aren't they.

My backwards trio of ripples. I swear, they get more gorgeous by the day!
Funny thing is, the two drakes are 2 weeks apart in age. Look at the caruncling difference! Perfect proof you cant always tell gender based off the caruncles!

My backwards trio of ripples. I swear, they get more gorgeous by the day!
Funny thing is, the two drakes are 2 weeks apart in age. Look at the caruncling difference! Perfect proof you cant always tell gender based off the caruncles!
I would have said based on face the bottom pic was a girl Gorgeous

I'm getting boy vibes. 6 week old Nibbler here is getting a Mohawk and wags the tail all over the place. And the wing nubs are pretty bare still. The tail feathers are coming in green as well as tufts near the wings.

Got a nice outdoor tub to play in water, and you can get a better idea watching to see what you think.

Last edited:

I'm getting boy vibes. 6 week old Nibbler here is getting a Mohawk and wags the tail all over the place. And the wing nubs are pretty bare still. The tail feathers are coming in green as well as tufts near the wings.

Got a nice outdoor tub to play in water, and you can get a better idea watching to see what you think.
That is the cutest thing, and for me still hard to say body is still rounded like female but you maybe right. I'll tell you from experience though drakes are the sweetest things and make awesome pets. Once you get them through the first round of puberty where they are fixated on us as their girls,[when they don't have another duck to grow up with they get confused] but it can be done we did it and our almost 4 yr old is just as sweet and cuddly as when he was Nibblers age.

I still hope Nibbler is a girl LOL eggs would be nice ya know hehe I've started planning for a nice outdoor door safe cage area. We live in Florida so even now its super nice out, but I still won't make Nibbler move outside until the "PEEP PEEP PEEP" is gone LOL I don't want to drive my poor neighbors crazy.

I just wish Nibbler and our dogs would get along, we have to play the constant ok let Nibbler out, dogs out on the back porch, or put the gate up to keep them separate. The dogs are seriously freaked out about the duck for sure. And Nibbler is a little instagator and will dash at the dogs and nip at the fur. Ummm yeah the dogs are like WHAT THE HECK is this little thing nipping at me.

It has been interesting to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom