My Ameraucanas look like hawks :-)

ive got about 10 different colors of ameraucana and ee's. i have white white/red/orange , blue/orangish tan, black and white, black and a few others i cant even begin to describe. all mine lay green eggs but according to the ideal poultry book it says if white egg layers are bred into them the offspring will lay blue eggs. anyone know if this is the case?

my last major purchase of them started laying at 5 months. ive had a worse time getting my welsummers to lay. i bought some of both at the same time and i have had about 50-60 green eggs compared to 1 welsummer egg. so far im not impressed by the welsummers but they are beautiful. esp my rooster he is big and wide.

Last edited:
My 16 year old desperately wants to get into falconing. I will have to get him some ameraucana's next spring. I told him he needs to be familiar with birds in general.

We have GLW he enjoys them.

He is about to launch his eagle project for Scouts in a week or so - The kid can do anything he sets his mind to do! I just hope he does the falconing thing in college away from my chickens. It is a lot of work to get the certification for falconing and then you have to trap one....Not like ordering chickens on line eh?

I will stick to chicken thankyou very much!!!!

Cal
Jax FL

I have one gorgeous hawk that would not take much for your son to catch. It sits on top of my chicken coop every day looking at my chicks, wishing I had not put a cover over the entire run area so he could have a snack. I even fell asleep one afternoon in the lounger next to the run to awake to him sitting on the end of my chair. Guess he realized he was not carrying me off anywhere and flew away.

Never had any ameraucanas here, but our first EE was named Hawk because that's what she looked like. I changed our second one from Falcon to Harriet... I didn't want any more birds of prey in the henhouse LOL.

Mine and I agree. They DO look like hawks; in fact, we were having this exact conversation just a few nights ago while we sat in the backyard with the chickens. I think that it is due to their lack of comb, coloring (in some cases -- I have a white one that doesn't look so much like a hawk, but...) and extra-curvy beaks. Fun, fun!

Here is a picture of my "hawk."
36268_mini-dsc08621.jpg
36268_mini-dsc08603.jpg

Back
Top Bottom