my first eggs!! who laid them?

I almost have my first Dozen! So excited.............
Awesome!! This is mine today!

Chasiekitten12 I don't think you ever got a direct answer.
In a 4x5 coop the max you should have is 5 typical chickens. Now if you have any of the Heavier heritage breeds, Orpingtons for example, they need more space.
Your 12x12 run is 144 square feet...which means it could technically hold 14 birds.
However I have found that at 10sq per bird leaves a quite nasty run.
You also asked about what to put in your dirt run to help with smell. Do a search on Deep Litter Management.

I just got my 5 chickens on Monday and today I got the first egg. As far as I can tell only two are old enough to lay.....the other three are much smaller and I am guessing younger which could be wrong. They are all Dominiques. I was told by the people we bought from that the larger two are older.....but they seemed unsure of the ages of the smaller ones. Definitely the two larger ones are in charge....especially one of them.

Another egg in the nest today. I am guessing the two larger ladies are both laying. I have read that Dominiques lay an average of three eggs per week so I would not expect the same girl to have left a treasure yesterday and today. I am obsessed!!!

Back
Top Bottom