My Flock (& breed guessing game)

GingersHuman

Songster
Sep 23, 2016
NC
I got pictures of most of my flock earlier this evening. I thought we could make a game out of it too, where I introduce a bird and you guys get to guess the breed(s). Anybody game? And no cheating by going back to my intro post!

Okay, bird #1. I'm going from oldest to youngest. This is Ms. Speckles. She is at least 6 1/2 years old, maybe more. My cousin gave her to me a few years ago, early spring 2012. She never has been much of a layer, I've only gotten a few eggs from her, and that's been quite a while ago. She lays a chalky white looking egg. Interestingly, she has a large sharp spur on one leg.

I got pictures of most of my flock earlier this evening. I thought we could make a game out of it too, where I introduce a bird and you guys get to guess the breed(s). Anybody game? And no cheating by going back to my intro post!

Okay, bird #1. I'm going from oldest to youngest. This is Ms. Speckles. She is at least 6 1/2 years old, maybe more. My cousin gave her to me a few years ago, early spring 2012. She never has been much of a layer, I've only gotten a few eggs from her, and that's been quite a while ago. She lays a chalky white looking egg. Interestingly, she has a large sharp spur on one leg.

Okay ill go first... Im thinking speckled sussex????

Just a few questions
-Are all your birds you are going to post purebred?
-How many guesses are we allowed in one post?
thumbsup.gif

Okay ill go first... Im thinking speckled sussex????

Just a few questions
-Are all your birds you are going to post purebred?
-How many guesses are we allowed in one post?
:thumbsup

Yep! Easy one, Speckled Sussex!

I'll mention when one is a mixed breed. Also, there are a couple that I'm not for sure, and everyone can only guess!

Let's do 1 guess per person, per bird.

Great questions! Thanks!
1f44d.png

Okay, bird #2!

This is Ethel. She's the last of the original 6 pullets I got at 6wks old on 7/4/11. So she is 5 years old. I sadly had many losses due to hawks, the first being the week they started laying. We lost Ethel's best buddy Lucy earlier this summer, she was the most friendly of the two, but Ethel has become more friendly now. Also, she is great with the youngsters. She lays a big brown egg and though I think she is taking a break now for molting, was laying a few weeks ago still.

Ethel is the black hen in the picture.

This is Rosie. She was bred by my cousin who gave me Speckles, both came here to live at the same time. She is a mixed breed, of which 2 breeds I'm not certain, so this is just guessing for fun. She laid almost every day when she was younger, a pale tan egg, but hasn't laid in quite a while. She is approximately 5 years old. Rosie is just now growing her tail back after a big molt.

Can I get some guesses for Rosie's breed? I have a good idea of what she half is, but not sure on the other half.

Back
Top Bottom