My leukemia's back.

Doing the happy dance! Partially since yesterday was my last day of chemo, but even more exciting is getting my laptop charger so I can get online
lol.png
Kinda a sad reflection when those two things are both so important lol.

Thank you all for the support! As I said, I'm done with my 5 days of chemo, off the IV altogether--I can finally roll over at night and not worry about strangling myself! Eating is okay, drinking is good, side effects are very minimal right now. I have to stay here at OHSU for several more weeks cause the chemo will cause my immune system to completely tank, I'll need transfusions, etc. Gotta keep me safe from the big bad world for a while. Should be home for Christmas, then depending on how long it takes to find a donor maybe back for another round of chemo around the first of the year. They're really pushing to get a fast transplant process cause I'm doing so well--more chemo is just going to wear me down and make me sicker.

My family's doing alright--it's hard being so far away! My honey and oldest are sick with a cold, I've had them tanking on Vit C, etc since we'd been planning on them coming to see me on Friday/Sat. They'll just have to be better by then, I miss my guys!

I've opened up a FaceBook account to keep folks updated also, anyone interested can look me up under Rachel Brockett-Bell.

We're back and forth on if they'll come up. Maybe just my honey, and the boys stay home. I've got my Mom lined up as my backup visitor if he can't make it
wink.png

Today was the first day I really felt the effects of the chemo. Weak and tired, kind of shaky. But, I got up and got moving and that helped. 11 laps around the unit is a mile . I can listen to Charlie Daniels play Devil Went Down to Georgia and it keeps my tempo going enough I can log half a mile or so---plus Mercy Me's new song Greater. That's a wonderful song if you haven't heard it, very lively
yippiechickie.gif

And as long as we're asking for people to donate blood, we should be asking them to join the National Bone Marrow Registry. It doesn't require much more to do so and I've been on it as a donor for 15 years or more now. It's always a good feeling to know you helped save a life and I've been called upon 3 times in those 15 years. The Registry keeps track of everything, you just sit back and wait for the card to arrive that will have more information in it for you to either go somewhere close by for a test or two, or just to have your doctor fill out a little slip of paper saying that you're ok to do this.
All the best to you and your family...

-kim-

Thank you Kim! I've contacted Be The Match for ideas on a virtual donor drive, and plan to have a physical drive locally. Ironically, I've been on the registry for years and years--have to be sure they don't match me up with myself
lol.png

Quote:
Oh you're too funny !!!

That's wonderful about you initiating a local drive! I don't think most people know how easy it is to join the registry. A simple cheek swab and BAM! you're put on a list that could save someone's life! More people should do it, IMO!

Take Care!

-kim-

Doing the happy dance! Partially since yesterday was my last day of chemo, but even more exciting is getting my laptop charger so I can get online
lol.png
Kinda a sad reflection when those two things are both so important lol.

Thank you all for the support! As I said, I'm done with my 5 days of chemo, off the IV altogether--I can finally roll over at night and not worry about strangling myself! Eating is okay, drinking is good, side effects are very minimal right now. I have to stay here at OHSU for several more weeks cause the chemo will cause my immune system to completely tank, I'll need transfusions, etc. Gotta keep me safe from the big bad world for a while. Should be home for Christmas, then depending on how long it takes to find a donor maybe back for another round of chemo around the first of the year. They're really pushing to get a fast transplant process cause I'm doing so well--more chemo is just going to wear me down and make me sicker.

My family's doing alright--it's hard being so far away! My honey and oldest are sick with a cold, I've had them tanking on Vit C, etc since we'd been planning on them coming to see me on Friday/Sat. They'll just have to be better by then, I miss my guys!

I've opened up a FaceBook account to keep folks updated also, anyone interested can look me up under Rachel Brockett-Bell.
I sent you a friend request on FB. Ah man I sure hope your men are better so they can come see you!!!

Back
Top Bottom