My leukemia's back.

I need to downsize also. Currently have 27 birds and they are laying up a storm. More eggs than I can sell. I need to get rid of some birds to get egg numbers down. But, I hate to remove anyone from the flock. Then... I will have to hatch some eggs, just to keep some youngsters moving up in the ranks. Really, I would be wise to decrease flock size to about 12 birds. Really, really, that is what I should do... Yep. Hubby would surely agree.
:lau good luck with downsizing !

I need to downsize also. Currently have 27 birds and they are laying up a storm. More eggs than I can sell. I need to get rid of some birds to get egg numbers down. But, I hate to remove anyone from the flock. Then... I will have to hatch some eggs, just to keep some youngsters moving up in the ranks. Really, I would be wise to decrease flock size to about 12 birds. Really, really, that is what I should do... Yep. Hubby would surely agree.
Me too. 12 is a great, manageable number for me. Therefore, I have 17 adults and 15 chicks in the brooder. Something seriously wrong with this picture.

One hatched and one has pipped! I can hear it cheeping for it's sibling! Both are light brown eggs ( cross with a CCL or Bielfelder rooster). 2 more to go! one of those is a light blue egg and the other green. Hard to see through.
Thanks all! Missed being on here. God has Mightily blessed our family this past Christmas with an extremely generous gift from a church that get special needs families! We went from a 8 year debt reduction plan to a 1 year plan. Huge weight removed. Need to work hard until the rest is paid off & then we will keep saving. As soon as that happens I'll quit one of my jobs. Working on developing skills for another job that will replace the others hopefully within 1-2 years.
Hang in there everyone. God is still in control despite the mess.
Hugs to all!

Last edited:
One hatched and one has pipped! I can hear it cheeping for it's sibling! Both are light brown eggs ( cross with a CCL or Bielfelder rooster). 2 more to go! Both of those were light blue eggs. Hard to see through.
Thanks all! Missed being on here. God has Mightily blessed our family this past Christmas with an extremely generous gift from a church that get special needs families! We went from a 8 year debt reduction plan to a 1 year plan. Huge weight removed. Need to work hard until the rest is paid off & then we will keep saving. As soon as that happens I'll quit one of my jobs. Working on developing skills for another job that will replace the others hopefully within 1-2 years.
Hang in there everyone. God is still in control despite the mess.
Hugs to all!
Nice year for sure!

The Bielfelder x cl cross should have a lot of hybrid vigor. Are they smashing out of the eggs?

Is that called Chicken math?? I'm not so good at math but if that's chicken math, I think that I could get the hang of it!
Now chicken genetics is a whole 'nuther story! Trying to figure out if my roosters- a bielfelder and a Crested cream leg bar- autosexing genetics carry over to the newly hatched chicks. Trying to tell if they are males or females and if they would be colored eggs. lol. Any guesses??? 2 eggs were light brown that already hatched and one green one had pipped before I left for work. They keep hatching while I'm at work or sleeping! Must know when I'm gone!
Me too. 12 is a great, manageable number for me. Therefore, I have 17 adults and 15 chicks in the brooder. Something seriously wrong with this picture.

Is that called Chicken math?? I'm not so good at math but if that's chicken math, I think that I could get the hang of it!
Now chicken genetics is a whole 'nuther story! Trying to figure out if my roosters- a bielfelder and a Crested cream leg bar- autosexing genetics carry over to the newly hatched chicks. Trying to tell if they are males or females and if they would be colored eggs. lol. Any guesses??? 2 eggs were light brown that already hatched and one green one had pipped before I left for work. They keep hatching while I'm at work or sleeping! Must know when I'm gone!
I do not think so. When you cross breeds you make sexlinks and lose auto sexing.

Good morning Team Rachel :frow

@FridayYet are you home now?
Got home by noon yesterday, then crashed on the couch all afternoon. Then, of course, I couldn't go to sleep again until 1AM and had to be at the wound clinic at 8. :thSo today I'm a space cadet wandering around the house. Not sure if I should nap or not.

Yes, a classic case of chicken math. Plus, I'm a softie and hate to process chickens so they tend to stick around longer than they should. And of course hatching is so much fun! Not sure when I'll get back down to a dozen, but that's the goal.

Oh, and unfortunately you'll lose the auto-sexing once you cross.

Back
Top Bottom