My son's (9) mental health crisis...UPDATE - HE's HOME!!

Please do not involve the school. I went thru this with my son when he was in the 6th grade. The kids at school know that those who see the councelor regularly have "ISSUES". The school may try to pressure you into giving a reason for his absence but we found out afterward that they only need to know that he was under a doctors care. The right to privacy is the same for kids as adults.

The schools ended up treating my kid like an outcast and labeled him. Once labeled he didn't have a chance. He was the kid who just would never make it. By the end of 9th grade he was so put down that he gave up and dropped out.

Hospitaling him was the best thing we ever did. Letting the school know was the biggest mistake we made.

My son is now 17 and and a balanced healthy young adult who has learned to manage his "difficulties" without medication. We are very proud.

I hope everything goes well for your family. It will be a difficult road at times. But if you follow thru with the help you are getting it will work out in the end.

Jacob is doing much better. The meds are really helping with the anxiety and I'm sooooo glad that that 'scared' look is gone from his eyes.

He's gone back to school for part days staritng Thursday and today is his first full day back. We are still awating the final report from all his psychological and learning styles/disability assessments.

Once those come back then we'll know how best to proceed with the school system.

Thanks again for all your concern. We will have a long road ahead, but at least I see that it is heading in a positive direction now!

Susan

Oh Arlee, we joined right after all this happened so we didn't know anything about it. But boy we will add your family and especially your son to our prayer list. I am certainly praying that our Great Physician will send His Holy Spirit to every cell of your son for wholeness and well being and peace. Looking forward to the next report on how he is doing. Blessings to you. Suz

Arlee, Bless you and your wonderful hubby for being such fantastic parents. I've been through the whole A.D.H.D thing with my now 20 year old son. The grade school refused to let him come to school without being on meds first. I had no choice that I knew of at the time and placed him on them. I did it for two years and then took him off slowly. We went through everything during that time from fights to all kinds of issues including him getting kicked out of outdoor school on the first day. That was a two hour trip to go pick him up...the reason: He was talking to another kid about guns and ammo and the right way to fire them. He is still into those things but purely for the hunting aspect of it all. He was terribly misunderstood and labeled and had a really bad time with the other kids all the way through high school. The shame of it all is, by his freshmen year, he was no longer A.D.H.D, he had outgrown it. He's perfectly fine and a wonderful man now that everyone adores and counts on. I know this will happen for your son too and I really just wanted to say that you aren't alone and there is hope that he will outgrow this...He sounds like a sweet heart and he has a great support system with his family. Good job.
clap.gif

Thank you for remembering us! Jacob is doing pretty well - he's got his up and down days, but overall we are in 'maintenance' mode rather than crisis mode, thankfully.

He's seeing a really super therapist every 2 weeks and his medications also seem to be helping greatly with the depression and anxiety. He still has his challenges, but he is slowly starting to make friends in his class, which is really nice to see.

I really appreciate all your kind thoughts and prayers!

Great news! My friend has adhd, and when she;s off her meds, her mind is scattered, and very painful to to watch her struggle. With meds, she is focused, and one of the top members of our staff. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom